Exponential Sytems of Equations

• Thread starter ConstantineO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, to solve the system (2^(x+y))=16 and (2^(x-y)) = 4, you can either multiply the two equations together or take the logs of both equations to the base 2. This will eliminate the y variable and immediately give you the x variable. It's important to consider different methods of solving a problem before diving in.
ConstantineO

Homework Statement

Solve the following system.

2. Homework Equations

(2^(x+y))=16, (2^(x-y)) = 4

The Attempt at a Solution

(2^(x+y))=16
(2^x)(2^y) = 16
EQ1 [(z)(q) = 16]

2^(x-y)) = 4
(2^x)/(2y) = 4
EQ2 [(z)/(q)=4]

Let z = (2^x)
Let q = (2^y)

Isolate the "z" variable in EQ1 so it can be subbed into EQ2
(z)(q) = 16
(z) = (16)/(q)

EQ2 Substitution Step
(z)/(q)=4
((16)/(q))/(q) = 4
q = (4)((16)/(q))
q = (64)/(q)
q^2 = 64
q = 8

Since we know "q" = 8, we can use this to discover the value of the "y" variable in (2^y)
q = 8
(2^y) = 8
y =log2(8)
y= 3

Now this is where I am lost and somewhat confused. If I sub the value for " y" into equation "(2^(x+y))=16," I find the x variable to be "1". This introduces a problem with the second equation:

If y = 3 and x = 1
2^(x-y)) = 4
2^(1-3)) = 4
2^(-2) = 4
1/(2^2) =4
1/4 =/= 4

I know what the answers are and how they must be arranged, but how do I find the "1" in the most elegant and correct way possible?

EDIT: I know how to spell systems. I made a typo. Please don't crucify me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your answer is wrong. You've got x and y switched.

The easiest way to do this problem is to multiply the two equations together (left sides time left sides, and right sides time right sides). This eliminates y and immediately gives you x. Another easy way to do this problem is to take the logs of both equations to the base 2.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Well, your answer is wrong. You've got x and y switched.

The easiest way to do this problem is to multiply the two equations together (left sides time left sides, and right sides time right sides). This eliminates y and immediately gives you x. Another easy way to do this problem is to take the logs of both equations to the base 2.

Chet
I feel like such a fool sometimes... It's this stuff right here that makes me question if I can get into university. The answer and methods of finding the solution were so simple, but I just couldn't see it. Thank you very much.

ConstantineO said:
I feel like such a fool sometimes... It's this stuff right here that makes me question if I can get into university. The answer and methods of finding the solution were so simple, but I just couldn't see it. Thank you very much.
Please don't get discouraged. We were taught to think in different ways like this when we were on math team in HS. You just need to spend more time thinking about other options for how to solve the problem before you really dive in.

Chet

1. What is an exponential system of equations?

An exponential system of equations is a set of equations where one or more variables are raised to a power. These equations typically involve exponential functions, such as y = 2^x, and are used to model relationships between quantities that grow or decay at an exponential rate.

2. How are exponential systems of equations solved?

Exponential systems of equations can be solved using various methods, such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. The appropriate method depends on the specific equations and the desired level of accuracy. In some cases, technology such as a graphing calculator may be needed to solve the equations.

3. What are some real-life applications of exponential systems of equations?

Exponential systems of equations are commonly used in fields such as finance, biology, and physics. For example, they can be used to model population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay.

4. Can an exponential system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, an exponential system of equations can have one or more solutions. However, it is also possible for the equations to have no solution or an infinite number of solutions, depending on the specific equations and variables involved.

5. How do exponential systems of equations differ from linear systems of equations?

The main difference between exponential systems and linear systems of equations is the presence of a variable raised to a power in exponential systems. This makes the equations more complex and often requires different methods for solving them. Additionally, exponential systems typically model quantities that change at an exponential rate, whereas linear systems model quantities that change at a constant rate.