1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of vectors and direction

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A vector A has a magnitude of 56.0 m and points in a direction 20.0° below the positive x axis. A second vector, B, has a magnitude of 70.0 m and points in a direction 45.0° above the positive x axis.

Using the component method of vector addition, find the magnitude and direction of the vector C (counterclockwise from the positive x-axis).

2. Relevant equations

a) Cx = Ax + Bx
    b) Cy = Ay + By
    c) Ax = ACos[tex]\Theta[/tex]
    d) Ay = ASin[tex]\Theta[/tex]
    e) Bx = BCos[tex]\Theta[/tex]
    f) By = BSin[tex]\Theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have calculated out all the relevant equations:
    a) Cx = 52.6 + 49.5 = 102.1m
    b) Cy = 49.5 - 19.2 = 30.3m
    c) Ax = 56Cos20 = 52.6m
    d) Ay = 56Sin20 = -19.2m (negative due to y in the negative direction per my written graph)
    e) Bx = 70Cos45 = 49.5m
    f) By = 70Sin45 = 49.5m

I have come up with vector C to be 106.5m using the Pythagorean theorem, but I cannot seem to get the correct direction of vector C. I have tried using the equation tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex](Cy/Cx) which gives me tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex](30.3/102.1) = 16.5, but when I plug it into the answer it tells me to check my syntax. By my graph, Vector C is in Q1 so I would assume from x-axis counter clockwise the answer should be 16.5deg. What I am unsure of is the fact that Vector A is in QIV and therefore the angle is intersected by the x-axis, so maybe that is where I am having my problem. My professor didn't really cover anything to this degree, so I have been relying on the book and it hasn't been much help either. Your help is greatly appreciated.

As this is my first post to this forum, I was trying to follow the rules to the letter, but if I don't need to type everything I did, would someone please let me know. Thank you very much.

Ahhh....The joy of returning to school after a 10 year hiatus!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answer looks fine to me, so it must be that the automated system you are plugging it into requires it to be in a certain form (syntax).

4. Sep 10, 2009 #3
    What other form could there be. It is asking for the direction counterclockwise from the x-axis and is asking for the answer in degrees.

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4
    Nevermind, I was racking my brain to try and figure out what the problem was, so I just decided to forget it and try re-inputting my answer again after about 4 different times of working out the problem and it finally took my answer @ 16.5 deg which is what I had put into the automated system originally. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook