1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic compression in a diesel engine

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a diesel engine, atmospheric air is quickly compressed to about 1/20 of its original volume. Estimate the temperature of the air after compression , and explain why a Diesel engine does not require spark plugs.

2. Relevant equations

f/2*ln(T_f/T_i)=-ln(V_f/V_i)

3. The attempt at a solution

I will assume the temperature inside a diesel engine is room temperature or 300 K.

f=5 since air is a diatomic gas.
    T_i=300 K
    T_f=?
    V_i=V_i
    V_f=.05*V_i

2.5*ln(T_f/(300K)=-ln(.05)

ln(T_f/300 K)=3/2.5

In(T_f/300)=1.2

T_f/300=exp(1.2)

T_f=300*exp(1.2)

since this is an adiabatic compression , no heat escapes. I guess spark plugs are not required because they produced heat and heat production isn't required to compress air inside a diesel engine. OR . The compression must be so high that heat is produced and the engine ignites by itself that there is no need for spark plugs.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2
    Anybody not understand my question?

4. Feb 1, 2009 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answer is a touch off (<1%) due to rounding errors, but the approach is fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?