Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adiabatic heat exchanger problem

1. Oct 7, 2006 #1
    Adiabatic heat exchanger problem... Please Help!

I have this proplem as a homework assignment and i'm a bit stuck as houw to set it up. Here it is:

Propane gas enters a continuous adiabatic heat exchanger at 40 degrees C and 250 kPa and exits at 240 degrees C. Superheated steam at 300 degrees C and 5.0 bar enters the exchanger flowing countercurrent,y to the propane and exits as a saturated liquid at the same pressure.

I know how to draw the process flowchart, but the problem also asks to include in the labeling the mass of the steam fed (kg). I have no idea how to figure this out. Is it in some table, or chart?

Please Help, 'cause i am stumped!

-Thanks in advance...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2007 #2
    Adiabatic heat exchanger

Couple of questions for you: Do you own a copy of the si steam tables? Are you familiar with heat balances?

Ok, i will try and point you in the right direction .

Q= Of the steam = Q of the water

Thus Q=McpDT m= mass of water/steam Kg Cp=Specific heat Dt= (Outlet Temp - Inlet)

So call steam 1 and Water 2

OR we can say that Q=m*Hf-Hg and take the data from the steam tables for steam as we know the conditions in and out! once we know Q ofcourse....lol ( H is Empalthy)

Good luck , hope this is some help....half asleep so probs wrote crap! lol :rofl:
  4. Jan 11, 2007 #3
    i didn't mean water i meant propane....lol
  5. Jan 14, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem seems to relate to the Joules-Thompson effect.......
  6. Jan 14, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

"adiabatic heat exchanger" implies the heat is transferred from the hot fluid to the cold fluid. The change in energy of the hot fluid = change in energy of the cold fluid, or rather rate of energy transfer from the hot fluid = rate of energy transfer to the cold fluid.

[tex]\dot{m_h}\,c_p_h\,\Delta{T_h}[/tex] = [tex]\dot{m_c}\,c_p_c\,\Delta{T_c}[/tex] where h and c are hot and cold, [tex]\dot{m}[/tex] is mass flow rate, cp is specific heat and [tex]\Delta{T}[/tex] is the change in temperature. Or instead of [tex]c_p\,\DeltaT[/tex], one could use the change in specific enthalphy directly, which one can find in a thermodynamic table as a funtion of temperature and pressure for the given fluid.
  7. Jan 16, 2007 #6
    Thats what i said...lol, but in laymen terms! :P
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?