Velocity exiting Heat Exchanger

In summary, using conservation of mass principles, we can determine the velocity exiting a heat exchanger by equating the mass flow rate at the inlet to the mass flow rate at the exit. However, it is important to use the correct density of air at the given pressure in order to obtain an accurate result.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Cold air enters a heat exchanger at 400 [K] and exits it at 1200 [K]. At the 0.025 [m2] inlet, the pressure is measured to be 1.0 [MPa] and the velocity is measured to be 3 [m/s]. The area of the exit is also 0.025 [m2] and the pressure here is measured to be 300 [kPa]. What is the velocity exiting the heat exchanger? Use conservation of mass principles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the mass flow rate going in equals the mass flow rate going out. m1=m2

I used this formula to calculate the mass flow rate:
m1=ρairA1v1
m=(1.225)(0.025)(3)=0.091875 kg/s

Since its an ideal gas, I substituted the mass flow rate equation into the ideal gas equation:

P2 =(m/(A2v2))RT2

I found R to be 0.287 kJ/(kg*K)

v2=[(0.091874 kg/s)(0.287 kJ/(kg*K))(1200K)]/[(300000 N/m2)(0.025 m2)]

I got v2= 4.2189 m/s as my velocity which is incorrect since my answer can only be 20,30,27,or 3.3333 m/s.

I can't see what I did wrong.

Attachments

• HEx.png
    HEx.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

Cold air enters a heat exchanger at 400 [K] and exits it at 1200 [K]. At the 0.025 [m2] inlet, the pressure is measured to be 1.0 [MPa] and the velocity is measured to be 3 [m/s]. The area of the exit is also 0.025 [m2] and the pressure here is measured to be 300 [kPa]. What is the velocity exiting the heat exchanger? Use conservation of mass principles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the mass flow rate going in equals the mass flow rate going out. m1=m2

I used this formula to calculate the mass flow rate:
m1=ρairA1v1
m=(1.225)(0.025)(3)=0.091875 kg/s

In your calculation of the inlet mass flow, you have apparently used the density of air at normal atmospheric pressure rather than a pressure of 1.0 MPa.

Likes jdawg
Perfect, thanks!

1. What is velocity exiting a heat exchanger?

Velocity exiting a heat exchanger is the speed at which the fluid leaves the exchanger after being heated or cooled.

2. Why is velocity important in a heat exchanger?

Velocity is important in a heat exchanger because it affects the heat transfer rate and can impact the efficiency of the exchanger. A higher velocity can result in better heat transfer, but it also increases pressure drop and can lead to higher energy costs.

3. How is velocity exiting a heat exchanger calculated?

Velocity exiting a heat exchanger can be calculated by dividing the volumetric flow rate of the fluid by the cross-sectional area of the exchanger. The volumetric flow rate can be determined by measuring the flow rate and knowing the density of the fluid.

4. What factors can affect velocity exiting a heat exchanger?

The design and size of the heat exchanger, the type of fluid and its properties, and the flow rate can all affect velocity exiting a heat exchanger. Other factors such as obstructions, bends in the piping, and clogging can also impact velocity.

5. How can velocity exiting a heat exchanger be optimized?

Velocity exiting a heat exchanger can be optimized by selecting the appropriate size and design of the exchanger for the specific application, maintaining proper flow rates, and ensuring the fluid properties are suitable for efficient heat transfer. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help to optimize velocity and overall performance of the exchanger.