1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adjoint transformation statement.

1. Jun 7, 2014 #1
    I have doubts regarding a statement related to the following proposition: Let ##(V,<,>)## be a finite dimensional vector space equipped with an inner product and let ##f:V \to V## be a linear transformation, then the following statements are equivalent:

1)##<f(v),f(w)>=<v,w>## for all ##v,w \in V##
    2) ##f^* \circ f=f \circ f^*=id_V##

I've read and understood the proof of the equivalence between these two statements but I have a major doubt with the following: In the part 1) ##\implies## 2), in the textbook they prove 1) ##\implies f^* \circ f=id_V## and then affirm "As V is a finite dimensional vector space, ##f^* \circ f=id_V \implies f \circ f^*=id_V##. I don't understand why that implication is true, I would appreciate if someone could explain it to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2014 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's proved here in theorem 4, part 7), that in a finite-dimensional vector space the left and right inverses of a transformation are equal: http://www-math.mit.edu/~dav/onesidedCORR.pdf [Broken] .

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 8, 2014 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The equality ##f^*\circ f=\mathrm{id}_V## implies that f* is surjective. A linear operator on a finite-dimensional vector space is surjective if and only if it's injective. (Can you prove those two statements?) So f* is bijective, and therefore invertible.
    \begin{align}
    &f^*\circ f =\mathrm{id}_V\\
    &\forall x~~ f^*(f(x)) =x\\
    &\forall x~~ (f^*)^{-1}(f^*(f(x)))= (f^*)^{-1}(x)\\
    &\forall x~~ f(x) = (f^*)^{-1}(x)\\
    &f =(f^*)^{-1}(x)
    \end{align} You could also just "apply ##(f^*)^{-1}## from the left" to both sides of the first equality, and then conclude that ##f=(f^*)^{-1}##, but that would be a bit suspicious IMO, because you would be using that ##\circ## is associative, and maybe what you have proved earlier is just that ##(f\circ g)\circ h=f\circ (g\circ h)## when f,g,h are all bijective. (We don't know that f is bijective at the start of the calculation. That's a conclusion we can make when we get to line 4).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted