Adjoint transformation statement.

In summary, the statement "f^* \circ f=f \circ f^*=id_V" is equivalent to "f^* \circ f=id_V", but the implication that this implies that f* is surjective is not proved in the given text.
mahler1
I have doubts regarding a statement related to the following proposition: Let ##(V,<,>)## be a finite dimensional vector space equipped with an inner product and let ##f:V \to V## be a linear transformation, then the following statements are equivalent:

1)##<f(v),f(w)>=<v,w>## for all ##v,w \in V##
2) ##f^* \circ f=f \circ f^*=id_V##

I've read and understood the proof of the equivalence between these two statements but I have a major doubt with the following: In the part 1) ##\implies## 2), in the textbook they prove 1) ##\implies f^* \circ f=id_V## and then affirm "As V is a finite dimensional vector space, ##f^* \circ f=id_V \implies f \circ f^*=id_V##. I don't understand why that implication is true, I would appreciate if someone could explain it to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's proved here in theorem 4, part 7), that in a finite-dimensional vector space the left and right inverses of a transformation are equal: http://www-math.mit.edu/~dav/onesidedCORR.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
The equality ##f^*\circ f=\mathrm{id}_V## implies that f* is surjective. A linear operator on a finite-dimensional vector space is surjective if and only if it's injective. (Can you prove those two statements?) So f* is bijective, and therefore invertible.
\begin{align}
&f^*\circ f =\mathrm{id}_V\\
&\forall x~~ f^*(f(x)) =x\\
&\forall x~~ (f^*)^{-1}(f^*(f(x)))= (f^*)^{-1}(x)\\
&\forall x~~ f(x) = (f^*)^{-1}(x)\\
&f =(f^*)^{-1}(x)
\end{align} You could also just "apply ##(f^*)^{-1}## from the left" to both sides of the first equality, and then conclude that ##f=(f^*)^{-1}##, but that would be a bit suspicious IMO, because you would be using that ##\circ## is associative, and maybe what you have proved earlier is just that ##(f\circ g)\circ h=f\circ (g\circ h)## when f,g,h are all bijective. (We don't know that f is bijective at the start of the calculation. That's a conclusion we can make when we get to line 4).

Likes 1 person

1. What is an adjoint transformation statement?

An adjoint transformation statement is a mathematical statement that describes the relationship between two vector spaces. It is used to describe how a linear transformation between these spaces can be reversed or "undone" by an inverse transformation.

2. How is an adjoint transformation statement written?

An adjoint transformation statement can be written in various ways, depending on the notation used for linear transformations. One common notation is (T*)^-1 = (T^-1)*, where T* represents the adjoint transformation of T.

3. What is the purpose of an adjoint transformation statement?

The purpose of an adjoint transformation statement is to provide a way to find the inverse of a linear transformation between two vector spaces. It is also used to prove properties and relationships between linear transformations.

4. How is an adjoint transformation statement related to the adjoint matrix?

The adjoint matrix is the matrix representation of the adjoint transformation. It is obtained by taking the transpose of the matrix representation of the original linear transformation. The adjoint transformation statement describes the relationship between the original linear transformation and its adjoint, which is represented by the adjoint matrix.

5. In what fields of science is the concept of adjoint transformation statement used?

The concept of adjoint transformation statement is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It is particularly useful in fields that involve linear transformations, such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and image processing.