1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced Functions test question

1. Oct 25, 2007 #1
    A bacteria doubles every 15h find when it will be at 1/16th of its present amount.
    not sure if there were more stuff stated but that's basically the jist of it.

i'm assuming y=b(2)^(x/15) is the doubling equation

not so sure how to solve it was going to just put in times 1/16 for the exponent but then i noticed that it was too little steps and the question was out of 4

(it was on a advanced functions test i just had today lol)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so let y(x)=b*2^(x/15). If the present time is x=0, you want to solve y(x)=y(0)/16. Put your form into that and solve for x.

4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    yeah i did that at first (i think it's what your talking about) and it was like

y(0)/16=2^(x/15)

2^(0)/16=2^(x/15)

1/16=2^(x/15)

2^(-4)=2^(x/15)
    -4=x/15
    -60=x

and i lost a mark cause the negative (i think...) another student instead subbed 1/16 for b and ended up with +60 and got full marks, just wondering if anyone knows why???
    i only just looked at the question now.
    sucks cause i think that mine was just from different reference...

5. Oct 30, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

y(0)=b. So your first equation should read b/16=b*2^(x/15) and the b cancels. Other than that I'd call the solution fine. If the population is doubling every 15h then the time when it was 1/16 of it's current size was 60 hrs in the past.

6. Nov 1, 2007 #5
    ooooooooohh maybe i lost a mark for not fully solving for y(0) before subbing ... forgot completely about the b tbh.

thanks man :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?