1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced probability theory books?

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    I'm interested in learning the calculus of general random variables, i.e. those that do not necessarily have a density or mass function - such as mixtures of continuous / discrete / Cantor-type variables.

There seem to be several different approaches:

1. Via densities, using delta functions etc, e.g. [tex]E[X]=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x f(x)dx[/tex]

2. Via cumulative distributions, using Stieltjes-type integrals, e.g. [tex]E[X]=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}xdF(x)[/tex]

3. Via probability measures, e.g. [tex]E[X]=\int x d\mu(x)[/tex]

Each seems to have a well developed rigorous theory. What would be the best approach to focus on, and what's a good accessible book on the subject?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you learn (3), then you will develop (1) and (2) as part of the process. [itex]F(x) = \mu((-\infty,x])[/itex], and the probability density function [itex]f(x)[/itex] exists if [itex]F[/itex] is an absolutely continuous function.

I like Billingsley's https://www.amazon.com/Probability-Measure-3rd-Patrick-Billingsley/dp/0471007102" because it's a very readable yet rigorous treatment that doesn't assume that you already know measure theory and Lebesgue(-Stieltjes) integration.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    Thanks - sounds like measure theory is the way to go and will be useful for more advanced topics.

Having a very basic and incomplete knowledge of Lebesgue integration, I'm tossing up between Billingsley and Shiryaev's https://www.amazon.com/Probability-Graduate-Texts-Mathematics-v/dp/0387945490/" - the gist of the reviews seems to be that B is more of a gentle essay-style introduction whereas S is more concise and efficiently organized. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Oct 22, 2009 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't read Shiryaev's book, so I can't compare the two. Billingsley isn't organized as a reference; he deliberately interleaves the probability material with measure theory on an "as-needed" basis, which is nice because everything seems properly motivated as you read through it. I would not say that his book is gentle per se (parts of it are quite tough), but it flows pretty well and he does a good job letting you know what he's doing and why.

Besides Billingsley and Shiryaev, another commonly used probability book at this level is Chung's https://www.amazon.com/Course-Proba...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256271371&sr=8-1". I've only skimmed it, and it looks fine, but a lot more dry than Billingsley. For example, Billingsley has a cool chapter about gambling theory, and often sprinkles interesting side topics such as "Strange Euclidean Sets" and the Banach-Tarski paradox, but Chung takes more of a no-nonsense approach. Chung is probably more appropriate for a graduate course, whereas Billingsley seems better for self-study. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook