1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Advice for courses for physics in high school.

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    I am currently a freshman in high school and was looking for advice on which courses to take. Over the past summer I spent most of July and August reading Calculus by James Stewart. I have also been reading other books more specifically for physics such as An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Linus Pauling and E. Bright Willson Jr. and also The Road to Reality by Roger Penrose, as well as several other books, articles, and websites. Last year my physics teacher gave me the physics book that he uses, Physics by Giancoli, and I am now taking physics and AP physics B concurrently. In math I am doing a course similar to an independent study for the material that I am supposed to cover in algebra 2 for the first semester and then taking an advanced online course in trigonometry. At my school the most advanced physics course is AP Physics B and the most advanced math course is AP Calculus BC. My main problem with my schedule is that I will not be learning everything that I can. After this year I will not be able to take any more physics courses at my school and I will have to wait until my senior year to take a math course that I already feel that I have a firm understanding of. I would like to take more advanced courses such as linear algebra and complex analysis in math or Physics C and Quantum Mechanics in Physics, all of which I am already looking into. Is there any way that I can take these courses?
    I am also wondering what are some good books to study from. I am mostly interested in mathematically based physics books. I would also appreciate any advice on where to get them for low prices. So far I have managed to scavenge most of my books from resale shops and was wondering if there was a better way to get them.
    I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2
    If your school allows you to, then you can take AP exams for AP classes you have not taken. Self-learning AP Physics C should not be a problem after you learn AP Physics B with a basic understanding of calculus. AP Statistics is also a course that can be self-learned easily with a good book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook