Advice for gluon vertex textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in deriving the three gluon vertex in QCD using the generating functional and asks for a reference that provides a step-by-step computation. A recommendation is made for chapter 9 of Cheng & Li's "Gauge Theory of Elementary Particles" and a personal notes in Romanian. It is suggested that the calculation can be done independently by understanding the 3-field expansion and using symmetry properties. Additional book recommendations for QFT/Green functions and QCD are also given.
ericthebee
Hello everyone,
i'm having a hard time trying to derive the three gluon vertex in QCD, using the generating functional. Could someone please suggest a reference where it is computed step by step? My teacher lecture notes are not clear, and basically I don't understand what he's doing.
A very good reference on Green functions could be useful as well.
Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd check out chapt. 9 of Cheng & Li -- Gauge Theory of Elementary Particles, where everything is derived using path integrals.

I have the calculation in my notes, which have text in Romanian. I don't think you have the explicit hand-made calculations in any book (my notes are built upon the brilliant book by Bailin & Love). You shouldn't look for a book to show the calculation, you can do it by yourself:

You read off the 3 vertex gluon factor once you put the 3-field term in the Lagrangian action from x to p representation with 4D Fourier transform. The 3-field expansion of int d^4 x F_a^{mu nu} F^{a}_{mu nu} you should calculate by yourself (it's gAApartialA), then trans-Fourier the product of 3 fields, then use the symmetry property (3 bosons).

Since this the is the book recommendation section, you can warmly use D.Bailin's and A.Love's "Introduction to Gauge Field Theory", IOP, 1993 for any QFT/Green functions questions.

Likes vanhees71
A good standard text on QCD is Muta, Quantum Chromodynamics.

Likes dextercioby
Thank you for your kind answers :)

What is a gluon vertex?

A gluon vertex is a point in spacetime where three gluons interact and exchange energy. This interaction is described by the theory of quantum chromodynamics (QCD), which is a fundamental theory of the strong nuclear force.

Why is it important to study the gluon vertex?

The gluon vertex is an important concept in QCD as it helps us understand the interactions between quarks and gluons, which make up the building blocks of protons and neutrons. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the strong nuclear force and the behavior of particles at high energies.

What is the best textbook for learning about the gluon vertex?

There are several textbooks available that cover the topic of gluon vertices. One popular choice is "Gluon Vertex in Quantum Chromodynamics" by Michael Binger, which provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the subject.

What mathematical concepts are necessary to understand the gluon vertex?

A solid understanding of quantum mechanics, special relativity, and group theory is essential to understanding the gluon vertex. Additionally, familiarity with Feynman diagrams and perturbation theory is also helpful in grasping the concepts.

What are some applications of studying the gluon vertex?

Studying the gluon vertex has many practical applications, including improving our understanding of the strong nuclear force, predicting the behavior of particles at high energies, and developing new technologies such as particle accelerators and medical imaging techniques.