Many-Particle QM Course Prep: Best Textbooks

• Quantum
  • Thread starter hilbert2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, if you are looking for a good textbook on many-body quantum mechanics, some recommended options include "Quantum Theory of Many-Particle Systems" by Fetter and Walecka, "Condensed Matter Field Theory" by Altland and Simons, "Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes" by Danielewicz, and "Quantum Field Theory of Non-equilibrium States" by Rammer. These texts cover topics such as Fock space, second quantization, many-particle Green functions, and the physics of superfluids.
hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi, I'm going to have a long graduate-level course on many-body quantum mechanics next fall and I'm already trying to prepare for it. I have the lecture notes that were used in the same course two years ago, but they are hand-written and a bit tedious to read. Can anyone suggest a good textbook on the subject? Material that will be covered includes Fock space, second quantization, many-particle Green functions and a little about the physics of superfluids. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The alltime classic for non-relativistic QFT (and that seems to be what you need) is

Fetter, Alexander L., Walecka, John Dirk: Quantum Theory of Many-Particle Systems, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1971

For a more modern treatment, including path integrals, see

Altland, A., Simons, B.: Condensed Matter Field Theory, 2 edition, Cambridge University Press, 2010

and, last but not least, also a bit of real-time formalism, for which I recommend

Danielewicz, P.: Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes I, Ann. Phys. 152, 239, 1984
Danielewicz, P.: Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes II. Application to Nuclear Collisions, Ann. Phys. 152, 305–326, 1984
Rammer, J.: Quantum Field Theory of Non-equilibrium States, Cambridge University Press, 2007

and of course

Keldysh, L.P.: Diagram Technique for Nonequilibrium Processes, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 47, 1515, 1964, [Sov. Phys JETP 20 1965 1018]

Likes hilbert2

Related to Many-Particle QM Course Prep: Best Textbooks

1. What is the best textbook for a Many-Particle QM course?

The best textbook for a Many-Particle QM course will ultimately depend on the specific needs and preferences of the student. Some popular options include "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Quantum Mechanics" by Albert Messiah.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Many-Particle QM course?

A Many-Particle QM course typically covers topics such as the basics of quantum mechanics, quantum states and observables, the Schrödinger equation, the many-particle wave function, and applications of many-particle quantum mechanics to systems such as atoms, molecules, and solids.

3. Is prior knowledge of quantum mechanics necessary for a Many-Particle QM course?

Yes, prior knowledge of quantum mechanics is necessary for a Many-Particle QM course. Many-particle quantum mechanics builds upon the concepts and principles of quantum mechanics, so a strong foundation in the basics is essential for understanding the more advanced material.

4. Are there any supplemental resources that can help with understanding Many-Particle QM?

Yes, there are many supplemental resources that can help with understanding Many-Particle QM. These may include online lectures, practice problems and solutions, study guides, and review books. It may also be helpful to seek out additional textbooks or resources recommended by your professor or peers.

5. How can I prepare for a Many-Particle QM course?

To prepare for a Many-Particle QM course, it is important to have a strong understanding of the basics of quantum mechanics. It may also be helpful to review mathematical concepts such as linear algebra, differential equations, and calculus. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the specific textbook and course materials can also aid in preparation.