Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice for representing experimental data

1. Nov 12, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

I have recently done my first experiment in fluid mechanics, and it was a gravity current experiment using UDVP. I have augmented the data, as to remove noise, and performed the statistical analysis.

I have text files which contain the velocities measured by each sensor over the time period measured for. So I have 128 velocities measured over a distance in front of the sensor for each node. (then for each run of the experiment)

I am struggling with how best to use this velocity data to show anything meaningful, I am a newbie to this and I need some advice.
    Any hints will be great, I need some idea of where to start and then I am sure that I can run with ideas from there.
    I want to reconstruct the distance measured over and then look at the velocity profiles, but I am unsure of how to do this.

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What were you measuring the fluid velocity as a function of? What were you varying in the experimental setup?

4. Nov 12, 2016 #3
    I measured the velocity at different positions down the flume

5. Nov 13, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps ask yourself what information would a typical reader be looking for?

Why were multiple runs of the experiment performed? Would the reader be interested in differences between runs or just the average of the runs?

Down and across or just down? Exel can plot 3D graphs if necessary. So you could plot a graph with x and y as position and z as velocity perhaps. Bit like a contour map?

http://spreadsheetpage.com/graphics/tips/surface2.gif

Only you can decide what's important and what's irrelevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted