1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

-ADVICE NEEDED- Double Major - EE & CS or EE & Physics

1. Jun 21, 2009 #1
    Greetings to all,

I am a new member and I am hoping to grab the attention of people who might have passed through the same route that I am on or people in similar situation.

I'm an EE junior and I am thinking about adding another major; I am in doubt, however. I am not very picky about my career either. I will enjoy anything as long as there is a problem to be solved. I took programming courses MATLAB, Java, C and aced all of 'em. Also finished dynamics and statics and also the first year physics for engineers and scientists. I have no problem with neither programming nor physics.

I am planning my career in the area that pays the most. Money is the entity that motivates me.

I am not certain but I hope to find jobs in energy or telecom industries. Also I want to go further for master's degree in an engineering field. Might be a MS EE, specializing in energy or MS in Nuclear engineering or MS in control systems or MS in Telecom engr.

But for the present, as I stated before, I'm a junior EE and in doubt of my second major. Having said my motivation, and further education goals, what do you think is the smartest decision for me to make, double majoring in EE and CS or EE and Physics?

I might have given insufficient information; as the discussion progresses, I will provide more info, I guess. But thanks for the insights from now.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2009 #2
    57 looks and 0 reply, man that helps!

4. Jun 22, 2009 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

If money is your main motivator you could do a engineering degree then a law degree and become a patent lawyer or do engineering and work your way up to CEO. Theres a hell of competition for CEO. Maybe you could switch to law and become partner of a huge firm.

Personally my advice is do what your heart tells you and not something based on money. I know its a cliche but I think (and hopefully others will agree) that its a time tested and true saying.

5. Jun 22, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

It's hard to predict what pay scales will be like in the future, when you actually enter the job market, but assuming things don't change drastically between now and then, you'd probably be more likely to find a high-paying job as a computer programmer than as a physicist. CS isn't exactly programming, of course, but it will probably prepare you for a programming job slightly better than physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook