Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on computer modeling a project

1. Sep 5, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I am using an arbitrary idea here to illustrate a question about computer modeling. I have a mechanical fan that uses xx power to produce a wind velocity of 50 mph in a calm environment. I want to know if a consistent wind blowing at 48 mph in the same direction as the fan is blowing will change the power requirement that the fan needs in order to still operate at 50 mph velocity, and determine exactly what that change would be.

I am not a mechanical engineer. If I want to input specs/data to complete a computer model are there suggestions? Should I Google "Mechanical Engineer" and find a local firm? Should I post in "gigs" in Craigslist? Should I put up a "hire notice" at UCLA Mechanical Engineering Department? Is there anyone on this forum that lives in the Los Angeles area and could perform this for a fee?

Jeff 310 936 2447

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Power consumption will be what the fan requires to generate 2 mph wind in calm conditions.

4. Sep 5, 2016 #3
    I am not asking for an answer to the hypothetical. It was only an illustration. "I am using an arbitrary idea here to illustrate a question about computer modeling." I am asking for advice on how to connect to someone that can do computer modeling.

5. Sep 5, 2016 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

The specifics of what ever it is you want modelled will determine where finding your best chance for help is. Calling the most relevant engineering company you can find will probably lead to a result - if they can't help they can probably point you to someone who can.

Your example of the moving fan requires no modelling, just the fan spec sheet, some googling, and/or a phone call to the manufacturer. That level of question probably won't illicit a helpful response from a busy engineer.

6. Sep 5, 2016 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Beyond the response it just did, of course. :wink:

7. Sep 6, 2016 #6

billy_joule

Science Advisor

I wasn't busy :biggrin:

8. Sep 6, 2016 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@ JP Mikl

If you could tell us more specifically what you want to model then we could give you some better answers to your question .

You might even get a complete answer to the actual problem .

9. Sep 6, 2016 #8
    Try googling 'fan laws' - this should produce the equations used for fan design, power usage, static pressure drop, etc. In your specific case, if the flow into the fan is 48 mph, it could have an output of 98 mph, but this depends on the type of fan and arrangement. The types of fans include propeller, axial centrifugal, forward inclined centrifugal, backward inclined centrifugal, tube axial, other more exotic. As others stated, your description is not specific enough to provide an answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted