Advice on computer modeling a project

In summary, the conversation is about using computer modeling to determine the power requirement for a mechanical fan in different wind conditions. The individual is asking for advice on how to connect with someone who can do computer modeling and the conversation also includes suggestions for finding help, such as contacting engineering companies or searching online for equations related to fan design.
JP Mikl
Hello,

I am using an arbitrary idea here to illustrate a question about computer modeling. I have a mechanical fan that uses xx power to produce a wind velocity of 50 mph in a calm environment. I want to know if a consistent wind blowing at 48 mph in the same direction as the fan is blowing will change the power requirement that the fan needs in order to still operate at 50 mph velocity, and determine exactly what that change would be.

I am not a mechanical engineer. If I want to input specs/data to complete a computer model are there suggestions? Should I Google "Mechanical Engineer" and find a local firm? Should I post in "gigs" in Craigslist? Should I put up a "hire notice" at UCLA Mechanical Engineering Department? Is there anyone on this forum that lives in the Los Angeles area and could perform this for a fee?

Jeff 310 936 2447

Engineering news on Phys.org
Power consumption will be what the fan requires to generate 2 mph wind in calm conditions.

I am not asking for an answer to the hypothetical. It was only an illustration. "I am using an arbitrary idea here to illustrate a question about computer modeling." I am asking for advice on how to connect to someone that can do computer modeling.

The specifics of what ever it is you want modeled will determine where finding your best chance for help is. Calling the most relevant engineering company you can find will probably lead to a result - if they can't help they can probably point you to someone who can.

Your example of the moving fan requires no modelling, just the fan spec sheet, some googling, and/or a phone call to the manufacturer. That level of question probably won't illicit a helpful response from a busy engineer.

Likes russ_watters
billy_joule said:
That level of question probably won't illicit a helpful response from a busy engineer.
Beyond the response it just did, of course. :wink:

I wasn't busy :biggrin:

@ JP Mikl

If you could tell us more specifically what you want to model then we could give you some better answers to your question .

You might even get a complete answer to the actual problem .

Try googling 'fan laws' - this should produce the equations used for fan design, power usage, static pressure drop, etc. In your specific case, if the flow into the fan is 48 mph, it could have an output of 98 mph, but this depends on the type of fan and arrangement. The types of fans include propeller, axial centrifugal, forward inclined centrifugal, backward inclined centrifugal, tube axial, other more exotic. As others stated, your description is not specific enough to provide an answer.

Likes russ_watters

1. What is computer modeling and why is it important for a project?

Computer modeling is the process of creating a digital representation of a real-world system, such as a project. It allows scientists to simulate and analyze different scenarios and outcomes before implementing them in the real world. This can save time, resources, and potentially prevent costly mistakes.

2. What are the different types of computer modeling used in projects?

There are several types of computer modeling used in projects, including mathematical models, physical models, and simulation models. Mathematical models use equations and data to represent a system, physical models use physical objects to represent a system, and simulation models use computer software to simulate a system's behavior.

3. How do I know which type of computer modeling is best for my project?

The type of computer modeling best for a project depends on the project's specific goals and needs. Mathematical models are ideal for predicting outcomes and analyzing data, physical models are useful for visualizing a system, and simulation models are effective for testing and simulating complex systems.

4. What are the key steps in computer modeling a project?

The key steps in computer modeling a project include defining the problem and objectives, collecting and analyzing data, choosing the appropriate modeling approach, building and testing the model, and interpreting and communicating the results. It is essential to have a clear understanding of the project's goals and to regularly review and refine the model as needed.

5. What are some common challenges in computer modeling a project?

Some common challenges in computer modeling a project include obtaining accurate and reliable data, selecting the appropriate modeling approach, and ensuring the model accurately represents the real-world system. It is important to carefully consider these challenges and address them to ensure the success of the project's computer modeling efforts.