I want some advice on making a hoverboard

In summary: Yeah I've tried to read Bernoulli's equation. Let's just say somewhere along the lines it got a little bit confusing.If you want to make a hoverboard that is both safe and efficient, you will need to understand Bernoulli's principle and Newton's Laws.
Hoverboardfan
The hoverboard would be a long, sleek, light, metal board with two strong but small fans underneath for power and another one on the end for propulsion. I would be about 3 feet in length, 5 in. in width, and about 4 cm. in height. The metal board would be in the shape of a skateboard but a little longer and wider. It should probably weigh about 2.5 pounds without the fans on the board. The fans will be constructed out of a tough metal that is durable and wrapped in a case made of the same metal. There will be a grate over the top of the casing as to prevent accidents and each fan will be wired up to a solar panel on the top of the board for battery life. The wires will run through the board and be covered in a waterproof tape of some kind that is weather proof and tough. The solar panels will be coated in a sheet of plastic wrap sort of stuff as to not get dirty and the plastic wrap stuff will be weatherproof. The fans on the bottom will be blowing out 25 mph wind currents as to propel someone into the air. The fans on the bottom should weigh about 2.5 pounds each. The fan on the back will be the same as the others except it will have a speed dial that is detachable as to connect to the wrist in a watch kind of way. The dial will have up to fifty miles per hour and a power switch that slowly turns off the fans to bring it to a stop. The fan on the back will weigh about 3 pounds. The solar panels should weigh about 2 pounds each. The fans will be kind of flat and have cushions on the sides on the bottom as to not break when stopping. The fans on the bottom will propel upwards about 4 or 5 ft. The whole hoverboard will weigh about ten pounds. The sides will also have very light metal handles that you can hold onto for tight turns and low hanging things. The hoverboard will also have grip tape that is just black so that you can customize your board with different colors of grip tape.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Really?

Yes, in fact I have been thinking of this for a while but I won't have enough money to make a hoverboard like this for several years.

Have you done any engineering rather than just pulling numbers out of the "air?"

Likes Hoverboardfan
Actually, no. This may be because I am actually very young and I am just seeking advice on how to make a hoverboard. I just want some advice so I can fine tune the flaws in my design.

Things/topics for you to look up and do a little reading, just suggestions based on your current interest, not absolute requirements for success: air cushion vehicles and how they work, ground effect; Newton's laws and force diagrams.

Likes Hoverboardfan
Hoverboardfan said:
Actually, no. This may be because I am actually very young and I am just seeking advice on how to make a hoverboard. I just want some advice so I can fine tune the flaws in my design.
Welcome to PF!

The place to start is here:
The fans on the bottom will be blowing out 25 mph wind currents as to propel someone into the air.
25 mph is a number you pulled out of the air. You can use Bernoulli's equation to calculate how much (velocity) pressure that generates, or alternately, how much speed you actually need to lift a human. We can walk you through that. Then we'll calculate how much power that will require.

Likes Hoverboardfan
Yeah I've tried to read Bernoulli's equation. Let's just say somewhere along the lines it got a little bit confusing.

Try reading up on the principle underlying air cushion vehicles. Might be a little easier to grasp.

http://news.distractify.com/alex-scola/hooverboard/

Be sure to wear a helmet and pads, not like that guy...

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!
25 mph is a number you pulled out of the air. You can use Bernoulli's equation to calculate how much (velocity) pressure that generates, or alternately, how much speed you actually need to lift a human. We can walk you through that. Then we'll calculate how much power that will require.

Bernoulli's principle is not really applicable here. I would start with Newton's Laws.

ulianjay said:
Bernoulli's principle is not really applicable here.
Welcome to PF!
You can use Bernoulli's equation to calculate the velocity pressure generated by the fan and/or the static pressure generated underneath a hovercraft.
I would start with Newton's Laws.
Yes, you can also use momentum.

maybe an air cushion vehicle would be more feasible...

The leafblower hoverboard berkeman linked is the closest thing to a futuristic-feeling hoverboard you can build. Simple fans and solar panels don't cut it.

If you want to use propellers, this is how big of a thing you need to be able to actually take off:

1. How does a hoverboard work?

A hoverboard uses sensors and gyroscopes to detect the rider's movements and adjust the speed and direction of the board. The wheels are powered by lithium-ion batteries and the board is controlled by pressure pads on the footrests.

2. What materials are needed to make a hoverboard?

A hoverboard typically requires a metal frame, wheels, batteries, electric motors, sensors, and gyroscopes. The frame is usually made of lightweight but sturdy aluminum and the wheels are often made of rubber or polyurethane. The specific materials may vary depending on the design and brand of the hoverboard.

3. Is it safe to ride a hoverboard?

Like any other mode of transportation, riding a hoverboard carries some inherent risks. However, if proper safety precautions are taken, such as wearing a helmet and following manufacturer instructions, hoverboards can be a safe and fun mode of transportation.

4. Can I make a hoverboard at home?

It is possible to make a hoverboard at home, but it can be a complex and potentially dangerous project. It is recommended to purchase a hoverboard from a reputable manufacturer instead of attempting to make one at home.

5. Are hoverboards environmentally friendly?

Hoverboards are powered by lithium-ion batteries, which are rechargeable and do not emit harmful gases. However, the production and disposal of these batteries can have negative environmental impacts. It is important to properly recycle or dispose of hoverboard batteries to minimize environmental impact.