Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Advice on Future-Technology Engineering

1. Oct 20, 2018 #1
    Hi, I am currently an undergrad student exploring different fields of engineering. I find that there are so many fields to choose from, it is as much astonishing as it is bewildering. What I would like to do is work on building the technologies of the future. Specifically, I am interested in designing and creating gadgets that have never been made before. Such as, a gadget that would enable a human being to have an exoskeleton of protection or a gadget enabling a human being to fly. I understand these types of creations may not become a thing reality for a long time, but I long to be on the leading edge of their upbringing. If someone could please advise me on the best types of engineering to study to prepare for entry into this line of work, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Ja

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2018 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well most "gadgets" are produced by teams of engineers from different disciplines within the field. So rather than focus on the end product, perhaps spend some time thinking about the types of problems you like to work on, and the kinds of skills that you want to foster in yourself.

4. Oct 20, 2018 #3
    Thank you for the response, I will keep that in mind.

5. Oct 22, 2018 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like a combination of ME and EE, for the most part. What kinds of projects have you built so far? By mid-undergrad, I'd built a 2-D laser scanner (for laser light shows driven by music), a small laboratory power supply, a digital clock with a nice case, and a couple other little odds and ends. Building projects is fun, and helps you learn to ask the right questions in your studies, IMO.
    https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/53adc28069bedd561d4f8cb9-750-563.jpg

53adc28069bedd561d4f8cb9-750-563.jpg
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe....jpg/300px-Daedalus_Project's_Light_Eagle.jpg

300px-Daedalus_Project%27s_Light_Eagle.jpg

:smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?