1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice/opinion on job opportunities based on country

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1

WIN

hello! I'm at my 6th sem(doing my internship semester) of my engineering studies in Mechanical Engineering (major Automotive) in an University of Applied Science in Germany. I'll be doing my thesis writing at my university next semester and considering to continue my Masters in either Mechanical Engineering or Product Development. Any advice on those field? Deciding between them because i wanted a wider job opportunies instead of just automotive field.

I'm also thought about the job opportunities of my study in different country. A bit about my background:I'm from Asia and I can speak english, chinese, german, little bit of japanese(learn it from foreign language class in university) and i'm willing to take up new languages. I enjoy being around the world and meeting peoples. I'm thinking of UK, US, Canada, Singapore, Aussie, UAE, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Shanghai, China or maybe Japan or South Korea. Any experience or opinion on any of those countries? What are the demands and job opportunity for a foreigner engineer?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2
    This is NOT a specific recommendation, but a resource of possible interest.....
    http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings

Which courses in your two fields of interest seem most interesting to you?

If you believe in the Global Climate Summit Agreement just reached, and I am NOT suggesting you should pay ANY attention whatsoever to it, I saw a review article that said they believe gasoline powered automobiles should be phased out entirely in the next two decades to 'save the planet'.

If you like both fields about equally now, and wish to undertake further study, consider taking the one offering more general study opportunities to find those that most interest you. A related approach would be to take initial courses applicable to both, see where your preferences take you. You might also take a work study program if you can or an internship somewhere and see what fascinates you on a temporary job.

I'm not familiar with differences between the fields nor national differences myself, but sometimes an extra semester or summer study can yield an additional degree in the other field. In my own case, I took some extra math course in the US as electives while studying for my undergraduate degree in electrical engineering. Nobody advised me [and I was unaware at the time] that with just a few more extra math courses beyond the ones I took as electives, I could have also gotten an undergraduate degree in mathematics. Had I known, I would have done that just for fun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook