Advice request - design a toy steam engine and do a pull event

In summary: The gearing for this could be as high as you can make it, to take advantage of the engine's high RPM. Using larger wheels or tracks may also provide more grip and stability on the course. Ultimately, the key to success in this competition will be finding the right balance between power and traction. In summary, when designing a toy steam engine for a pull event, you should consider using a commercial gear box, updating the flywheel, and incorporating larger wheels or tracks for better grip. Additionally, using a capstan or winch may provide an advantage in pulling the engine along the course.
Novice One
Advice request -- design a toy steam engine and do a pull event

Hello,

Please do forgive me if this is inappropriate use of this sight, I'm looking for general advice, any suggestions as to where I could get information and thoughts on the subject are welcome.

I've taken a challenge to build and enter a competition to modify a 'Mamod toy steam engine' and enter a pull event. The engine on one fuel fill will have to pull as much load as possible over a 5' or 60 Inch flat course, with a 5 min time limit. The cylinder assembly, burner and safety vale have to remain standard. I understand that around 2000 RPM is available.

The design apart from the above proviso's can be as outlandish / revolutionary as required. My perception of this is that this is a task around gearing. However I'm thinking in relation to other points and need answers advice and suggestions.

1 - Would this task be better performed with small wheels, larger wheels or tracks
2 - Should I use a small commercial gear box or use Meccano gears
3 - Updating the Flywheel to solid, much heavier, will that give me an advantage / benefit
4 - Should I consider using miniature bearings and lubrication on the drive train
5 - Would there be an advantage to having variable gearing / how could this be achieved?

At this time a competitor has a pull weight of around 30 Kg - on a trolley pulled by the engine, which I consider very interesting.

Again sorry if this is inappropriate

Thanks & Regards

Mark

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

1. What is the surface it needs to grip?
2. Commercial box will be more efficient.
3. Flywheel is needed if single cylinder.
4. Commercial gearbox needs bearings but final axles can be simple shafts in bushes.
5. No advantage in mechanical variable gearing. Maybe torque converter?

If the rules allow, you might consider a capstan or winch to pull the engine along the course.

1. How do I design a toy steam engine?

Designing a toy steam engine requires knowledge of basic engineering principles and an understanding of how steam engines work. You will need to determine the size, materials, and components needed for your design. It may be helpful to research existing toy steam engines and use them as inspiration.

2. What materials should I use for my toy steam engine?

The materials you choose for your toy steam engine will depend on your design and budget. Common materials for toy steam engines include metal, plastic, and wood. It is important to choose materials that are durable and can withstand high temperatures and pressure.

3. How do I ensure my toy steam engine is safe for a pull event?

Safety is a top priority when designing a toy steam engine for a pull event. You should carefully test and inspect all components to ensure they are in good working condition. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines and precautions, such as wearing protective gear and keeping a safe distance from the engine during operation.

4. How do I make my toy steam engine more efficient?

To improve the efficiency of your toy steam engine, you can make design modifications such as increasing the size of the boiler or using more powerful components. You can also experiment with different fuels and adjust the pressure and temperature settings to optimize performance.

5. Are there any resources or tutorials available for designing a toy steam engine?

Yes, there are many resources and tutorials available online for designing a toy steam engine. You can also consult with experienced engineers or join online communities to get advice and feedback on your design. It may also be helpful to attend workshops or classes focused on steam engine design.