Aerodynamics and flight mechanics for control engineering

In summary: Those who write the actual firmware are usually EE or CEs, while those who derive the control laws are usually engineers with a background in mechanics or aerodynamics.
navierstokes
I have a huge interest in aviation and aerodynamics, despite being an EE student. I took Fluid Mechanics courses as electives, and I'm learning some aerodynamics on my own. I was thinking if there is any field of work where the knowledge of both an EE and aerodynamics/flight mechanics would be useful, and I've thought about control engineering (GNC engineering).

I wonder how much aerodynamics should a GNC engineer know to write control codes for aerospace firmware. I think it would be an exciting field to be in. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
navierstokes said:
I have a huge interest in aviation and aerodynamics, despite being an EE student. I took Fluid Mechanics courses as electives, and I'm learning some aerodynamics on my own. I was thinking if there is any field of work where the knowledge of both an EE and aerodynamics/flight mechanics would be useful, and I've thought about control engineering (GNC engineering).

I wonder how much aerodynamics should a GNC engineer know to write control codes for aerospace firmware. I think it would be an exciting field to be in. Any ideas?
For writing the actual firmware, many engineers know very little aerodynamics! Many of the firmware guys are EEs or CEs and would be given requirements by the aerodynamics guys and work with them.

With a EE background and also a few fluids classes you would be well suited to move into the GNC group.

Likes navierstokes
donpacino said:
For writing the actual firmware, many engineers know very little aerodynamics! Many of the firmware guys are EEs or CEs and would be given requirements by the aerodynamics guys and work with them.

With a EE background and also a few fluids classes you would be well suited to move into the GNC group.

Are people in GNC group divided between those who write the actual firmware and those who derive the control laws? If so, I imagine that those who derive control laws should be familiar with things like flight mechanics and aerodynamics for system modelling and so. Is this right?

1. What is aerodynamics and how does it affect flight mechanics?

Aerodynamics is the study of how air flows around objects, such as airplanes. It is an important factor in flight mechanics because it determines how the airplane will move and how much lift it can generate to stay in the air.

2. How does control engineering play a role in aerodynamics and flight mechanics?

Control engineering involves designing and implementing systems to control the movement and behavior of objects, such as airplanes. In aerodynamics and flight mechanics, control engineering is used to manipulate the aircraft's control surfaces, such as the rudder and elevators, to maintain stability and control the flight path.

3. What factors can affect the aerodynamics of an aircraft?

There are several factors that can affect the aerodynamics of an aircraft, including the shape and design of the aircraft, the air density, the speed of the aircraft, and the angle of attack (the angle at which the aircraft meets the oncoming air).

4. How do engineers use aerodynamics and flight mechanics to improve aircraft performance?

Engineers use their knowledge of aerodynamics and flight mechanics to design and optimize aircraft for maximum performance. This can include reducing drag to increase speed and fuel efficiency, and increasing lift to improve the aircraft's ability to stay in the air.

5. What are some real-world applications of aerodynamics and flight mechanics in modern aircraft?

Aerodynamics and flight mechanics are essential in the design and operation of modern aircraft. They are used to improve fuel efficiency, increase speed and range, and enhance safety and stability during flight. Additionally, these principles are also applied in the design of spacecraft and other vehicles that travel through the air.