Merging MechE & Electronics for a master's degree?

In summary, the individual is an undergrad in Mechanical Engineering with a strong interest in electronics. They are pursuing courses in the EE department as electives and are considering a Master's Degree in electronics or a related field. They are concerned about how this may affect their job prospects in both mechanical engineering and electronics, but are interested in a hybrid job that combines both areas of expertise. They are also considering research fields in mechatronics, control systems, and electronics systems for their Master's Degree.
navierstokes
As a undergrad in Mechanical Engineering, I have a great interest in electronics. I have circuits and Arduino for a hobby, and I'm learning microcontroller programming by myself. When I got into college, I was torn between electrical and mechanical engineering, but ended up choosing the later because of it's broader scope and my interest in things like aerodynamics, fluids and aerospace. I'm really liking the course, but I miss dealing with electronics, so I'm choosing some classes from the EE departament related to that as electives: things like electrical circuits, electronics and so. But I want to be attested in both areas.

My question is: if I pursue a Master's Degree after undergrad, could I end up dealing with electronics? Or maybe, possibly, merging both subjects. I know MechE and EE intersect in things like robotics and control systems, but would it be difficult to get enrolled in a master's program not directly related to my undergrad, even with those electives?

Physics news on Phys.org
navierstokes said:
... but would it be difficult to get enrolled in a master's program not directly related to my undergrad, even with those electives?

Not at all. This is one of innumerable ways to fine-tune your academic focus. That you are concurrently taking EE courses just enhances your credibility when you spell out your argument in your (future) statement of purpose in your application.

Likes navierstokes
DrSteve said:
Not at all. This is one of innumerable ways to fine-tune your academic focus. That you are concurrently taking EE courses just enhances your credibility when you spell out your argument in your (future) statement of purpose in your application.
That's good to hear, indeed. I've been giving a look at some master's degree programs. There are research fields in mechatronics (things like robotics, sensors, dynamic systems), control systems and electronics systems. They all sound very interesting, and I think I will narrow down to one of them eventually. In fact, I was very surprised to find that one of the professors there at the electronics department has a bachelor in Mechanical Engineering!

What makes me uneasy is how to handle both expertises once you get out of academia and get into a job. How does industry look at this? Won't I become less acceptable for core MechE jobs after doing a master's in electronics, for example?

navierstokes said:
Won't I become less acceptable for core MechE jobs after doing a master's in electronics, for example?
You seem to have shifted gears a bit. At first you were discussing the viability of M.S. degree in electronics (incidentally, not well defined in and of itself) after a B.S. in Mech Eng., which makes sense if you want to pursue a job in electronics, but less sense if you want to pursue a "core MechE" job. If you want a "core MechE" job after your M.S. get a mechE M.S. degree. If you want a core EE" job after your M.S. get a EE M.S. degree. Or be creative about a hybrid degree/job.

Likes navierstokes
DrSteve said:
You seem to have shifted gears a bit. At first you were discussing the viability of M.S. degree in electronics (incidentally, not well defined in and of itself) after a B.S. in Mech Eng., which makes sense if you want to pursue a job in electronics, but less sense if you want to pursue a "core MechE" job. If you want a "core MechE" job after your M.S. get a mechE M.S. degree. If you want a core EE" job after your M.S. get a EE M.S. degree. Or be creative about a hybrid degree/job.
Sorry, I've not made myself clear.
What I wanted to say is that if, after doing a M.S in electronics, I won't lose eligibility for mechanical engineering jobs, and so narrow down my prospects of being employable, if need arises. If, after a M.S in electronics, I'm not as good as a mechanical engineer anymore, so it isn't worth it.
And yeah, I think that a hybrid job would be what I'm after.

1. What is the benefit of studying both Mechanical Engineering and Electronics in a master's degree?

Studying both MechE and Electronics in a master's degree allows students to gain a comprehensive understanding of how these two fields intersect and work together. This can be especially valuable in industries such as robotics, automation, and advanced manufacturing.

2. What career opportunities are available for those with a master's degree in Merging MechE and Electronics?

Graduates with a master's degree in Merging MechE and Electronics have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They may work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, telecommunications, and more. They can also pursue research and development positions in academic or government institutions.

3. Are there any specific courses or areas of focus within this master's degree program?

Yes, this program typically includes courses in areas such as mechatronics, control systems, robotics, and advanced electronics. Students may also have the opportunity to specialize in a certain aspect of MechE and electronics, such as renewable energy systems or biomedical devices.

4. Can this master's degree be completed online?

It depends on the specific program, but some universities do offer online or hybrid options for this degree. However, it is important to note that hands-on laboratory work and project-based learning are often a crucial component of this degree, so in-person courses may be required.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a master's degree in Merging MechE and Electronics?

Students in this program will develop a strong understanding of both mechanical engineering principles and electronic systems, as well as the ability to integrate these two fields to solve complex problems. They will also gain hands-on experience with design, analysis, and implementation of mechatronic systems.