Doing MechE, but not mechanically inclined

I'm at my second year of mechanical engineering, and I do like all the theoretical stuff I'm learning (calculus, linear algebra, physics). But the problem is: when it comes down to actually build something, I find much more interesting to assemble and solder circuits than building something really mechanical(electronics is a hobby of mine). I'm not much mechanically inclined, besides loving various aspects of mechanical engineering: thermo, fluids, aerodynamics.
Also, I enjoy learning about control systems. I find their mathematical nature very interesting, and I'm taking some online courses on this subject.
Which fields of mechanical engineering do you think would suit me?

Answers and Replies

DrSteve
Gold Member
...besides loving various aspects of mechanical engineering: thermo, fluids, aerodynamics.
Also, I enjoy learning about control systems.
Haven't you pretty much identified the fields of mechanical engineering that would suit you?

Likes CalcNerd
Haven't you pretty much identified the fields of mechanical engineering that would suit you?
Yeah, those are the classes I like, but it's very theoretical classroom stuff. I don't know if this will still apply when I start working at some company, when I will have to do more handwork.

Yeah, those are the classes I like, but it's very theoretical classroom stuff. I don't know if this will still apply when I start working at some company, when I will have to do more handwork.
Lots of engineers do more theoretical work, they tend to be those doing computational modeling and simulations; which on the MechE side tend to be those doing Finite Element Analysis and Fluid Dynamics and the other topics you mentioned prior.

Control systems, Electronics. Theory...
Sounds like maybe Electrical might be a better fit??

Control systems, Electronics. Theory...
Sounds like maybe Electrical might be a better fit??
I've put a lot of thought into it, but I'm not sure. I intended to get my bachelor's in MechE and after that pursue a Master's in controls. I'm aware that one of the best engineering schools of my country offers a master program in aeronautical engineering with concentrations in aerospace systems and mechatronics. I think it would be a great way to study all my fields of interest.

DrSteve
Gold Member
Your vision of mechanical engineering is rooted in the mid-20th century. Few engineers are fortunate enough to be able to do hands-on work these days. If you chose aerospace you will not be one of them.

Likes ramzerimar
Your vision of mechanical engineering is rooted in the mid-20th century. Few engineers are fortunate enough to be able to do hands-on work these days. If you chose aerospace you will not be one of them.
Ok, I got it. To be honest, I may be more comfortable doing analysis and running simulations. By what I've studied so far, systems and control looks like a very mathematical field (Fourier and Laplace transforms, transfer functions...), and that's why I find it interesting and more appropriate for me. That's why I'm interested in fluids, also, and aerodynamics. So I think aerospace is a interesting path, where all this is applied.

IF you want to do some self learning on Control Systems (I'm not sure how much is covered in Mech Eng. I dont think any was at my school)
Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/ControlLectures Our prof for Control Systems was useless beyond belief. I learned the entire course from that Youtube channel :)

(Fun fact: On our midterm the prof, not having checked his random question before hand, asked us to factorise a 27th order polynomial, and then was pissed when we couldn't do it and asked him to show us how.)

IF you want to do some self learning on Control Systems (I'm not sure how much is covered in Mech Eng. I dont think any was at my school)
Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/ControlLectures Our prof for Control Systems was useless beyond belief. I learned the entire course from that Youtube channel :)

(Fun fact: On our midterm the prof, not having checked his random question before hand, asked us to factorise a 27th order polynomial, and then was pissed when we couldn't do it and asked him to show us how.)
Thank you. I will certainly take a look on that channel. In my school, Control Systems is not mandatory for Mech Eng. There used to be a elective in controls in our departament, but not anymore. I tought about taking some electives on controls at the EE department, but I couldn't handle the amount of prerequisites. I will try learning it by myself, so I have some background if I pursue a Master's on this subject in the future.

boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I wouldn't have called myself mechanically inclined. I've developed those skills (among others) as a necessity for designing and building research-related apparatus, but I was never one of those guys who got into mechanical engineering because of my love of tinkering on my car or anything like that. I never found myself to be disadvantaged due to a lack of tinkering interest or experience.

Likes ramzerimar