Aerospace Engineeering Assignment

In summary, The conversation discusses two experiments, one about boundary layers on a flat surface and one about pressure distribution on an airfoil at different angles of attack. The person also shares a link to a cool diagram explaining why birds fly in a V formation and suggests using online resources such as Wikipedia and Google for more information on these topics.
moust
Hi people, i am really in a deep trouble and i will be so happy if anyone can help. Any tips will be so appreciated and make a real different to what i am going through at the moment. i have got two question to answer.

1. Experiment of boundry layer on a flat surface : giving dtails of how the boundry layer are formed

2.Eperiment of pressure distribution on an airfoil at differents angle of attack

Physics news on Phys.org
One cool airfoil diagram is the one that explains why birds fly in a V:

http://www.warren-wilson.edu/~physics/PhysPhotOfWeek/20060929GeeseV/index.html"

It means the lead bird and the 2 flanking birds do extra work, but the everage of each bird's total work is reduced by a huge percentage. And about boundary layers, are you talking about the fluid surface separating 2 mediums? There is a lot of info online about both these topics. Try Wikipedia.org first, and be sure to look at the references and external links at the end of each article. Then try google...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

As an aerospace engineer, I understand the importance of these two experiments in understanding the aerodynamics of a flat surface and an airfoil. Let me try to provide some tips that may help you with your assignment.

1. When a fluid flows over a flat surface, a thin layer of fluid near the surface experiences a decrease in velocity due to the friction between the fluid and the surface. This layer is known as the boundary layer. The formation of the boundary layer can be explained by the concept of laminar and turbulent flow. At the leading edge of the flat surface, the fluid flow is mainly laminar, meaning it moves in smooth layers. As the fluid moves along the surface, it starts to transition into a turbulent flow, where the layers of fluid start to mix and create chaotic motion. This transition from laminar to turbulent flow is known as the boundary layer transition.

2. The pressure distribution on an airfoil at different angles of attack is crucial in understanding the lift and drag forces acting on the airfoil. At a low angle of attack, the flow over the airfoil is mainly laminar, resulting in a smooth pressure distribution. As the angle of attack increases, the flow separates from the airfoil, creating a larger wake and a turbulent boundary layer. This turbulent boundary layer causes a higher pressure on the upper surface and a lower pressure on the lower surface, leading to an increase in lift and drag forces. By conducting experiments at different angles of attack, we can determine the optimal angle for maximum lift and minimum drag.

I hope these tips will help you in understanding the concepts behind these two experiments. Remember to also consider factors such as Reynolds number and flow velocity in your analysis. Good luck with your assignment!

1. What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and construction of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems. It involves the application of principles from various fields such as physics, mathematics, and materials science to create and improve aerospace technology.

2. What are the main areas of focus in an aerospace engineering assignment?

The main areas of focus in an aerospace engineering assignment may include aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, control systems, and materials. These areas are essential in the design, development, and testing of aerospace vehicles.

3. What skills are required to excel in aerospace engineering assignments?

Some of the skills required to excel in aerospace engineering assignments include a strong understanding of mathematics and physics, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and good communication skills.

4. What are the challenges faced in aerospace engineering assignments?

One of the main challenges in aerospace engineering assignments is the complexity of the projects, which require a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills. Other challenges may include strict deadlines, budget constraints, and working with a multidisciplinary team.

5. How can aerospace engineering assignments contribute to the advancement of the aerospace industry?

Aerospace engineering assignments play a crucial role in the advancement of the aerospace industry by pushing the boundaries of technology and innovation. Through these assignments, new and improved aircraft and spacecraft are designed, tested, and developed, leading to safer and more efficient transportation systems and expanding our understanding of the universe.