Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

After a dance class I got a really sore hamstring

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1
    A few of weeks ago after a dance class I got a really sore hamstring. I thought it was nothing. But three weeks later it is still sore. Have I pulled my hamstring? I don't know how I could have done it (I am very flexible from yoga and pilates and didn't do that much the night I hurt it) How long should it take to get better, it is seriously affecting my fitness/strength/flexibility :cry: Is there anything I can do to make it go away?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2006 #2
    I suggest seeing a doctor if it doesn't go away in another week. It really depends on how long you've been dancing though, if you've just started it might be a normal thing (even if you are flexible), but if you've been doing it for ages then it might be something to worry about.

I'm sure alot of other people will give you heaps better advice then this, but this is mine.

~Gelsamel

4. Oct 18, 2006 #3
    Yeah I have been dancing for many years started at 4 (if you can call it dancing at that age) Thanks I hope it doesn't have to get to the point of seeing a doctor

5. Oct 18, 2006 #4
    Ouch, hope it feels better soon. Sounds like you strained it to me, keeping it wraped should help. Being that its already been a few weeks and you are active..a quick trip to the doctors, would seem in order.

6. Oct 18, 2006 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Were you wearing shoes you don't normally dance in, were they high heels?

7. Oct 18, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Are you sure it was because of the dancing? You didn't get it kicking your ex's ass? :biggrin:

8. Oct 18, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I pulled a hamstring, and it took several weeks - more like a month + to heal (rw, I venture that I am probably more than twice your age). I still have to be careful to stetch before I do any activity which involves full and/or rapid extension of the hamstring (and other muscles).

Besides anti-inflammatory medication, one can use contrasting (alternating hot and cold, which also works well on strained tendons) and deep tissue massage, as well as 'gentle' stretching. I used a heat pad and ice pad for contrasting, and a heat pad with deep tissue massage.

9. Oct 18, 2006 #8

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you didn't rest/ice/compress/elevate it immediately after the injury then it's no wonder it's still sore.

10. Oct 19, 2006 #9
    I thought it was nothing maybe just over stretched a bit but over stretching doesn't last this long. I was wearing heels because it was salsa and then had american jazz so wore jazz shoes.
    Danger I was pretty sure I didn't do it kicking my ex's ass

11. Oct 19, 2006 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Well, maybe next time... if he's dumb enough to present himself again...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?