Age as negative factor in top math grad school admission?

In summary, the conversation is about a math major in South Korea who is worried about rumors that age is a critical factor in admission to top math graduate schools like Princeton and Harvard. Due to the mandatory military service law in their country, they cannot apply to foreign grad schools until they are 26 (27 when starting grad school). They are seeking clarification on whether this age will be seen as a negative factor in their application. The conversation also touches upon the success of older students in graduate studies in math and physics.
LIFTNAlice
Hi, I am a math major in South Korea. Recently, one of my friends came to me with a rumor that age of the applicant is a critical factor in admission to top math grad school like princeton, harvard, etc...

What worries me is that due to the country's "mandatory military service law ", I cannot apply to any foreign grad schools until I am 26 (27 when I start grad school) , and my friend said that this is too old to be admitted.

I was wondering if any kind person could help me by telling me wheter or not what my friend said is true, and is 26 too old to be counted as a negative factor when applying to these "top" schools.(most important question :) )

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's with the empty lines?

Crake2// I put them so that people could read better...

LIFTNAlice said:
Crake2// I put them so that people could read better...

It doesn't. It makes it look weird and annoying.

Edit: the unnecessary line spacing was removed. If you wish to make your post easier to read, pay closer attention to paragraph breaks and sentence structure, not line spacing.

Zz.

I know for a fact that older (late 20s to middle aged) people enroll in graduate studies in math and physics. Robin Hanson got a PhD in his thirties from CalTech (physics).

Somewhere on another site is a long thread about mathematicians who succeeded later in life, many of whom didn't begin studies until later.

TomServo said:
I know for a fact that older (late 20s to middle aged) people enroll in graduate studies in math and physics. Robin Hanson got a PhD in his thirties from CalTech (physics).

After googling, I think you are referring to Robin Hanson at GMU, who has a phd in social science. This is a very different field/market then physics (most poli-sci/economics phds land a faculty position immediately post-phd. Most physics phds never land a faculty position, and those that do go through at least one postdoc, often more). I imagine you'll see many more older students in social science phd programs, because the path to a career is much safer and shorter.

Gah, you're right, his undergrad degree was in physics. He wrote in a blog post somewhere about going back to CalTech for a PhD and I assumed. I assumed! :(

1. What is the impact of age on top math grad school admission?

The impact of age on top math grad school admission varies depending on the individual and the specific program. In general, older students may face more competition from younger applicants and may have a harder time adjusting to the rigorous academic environment. However, age can also bring maturity, life experience, and a unique perspective to the program, which can be beneficial.

2. Is there an age limit for top math grad school admission?

There is no set age limit for top math grad school admission. Each program has their own criteria for admission, and age is just one factor that is considered. As long as an applicant meets the academic and other requirements of the program, age should not be a limiting factor.

3. Do older applicants have a disadvantage in the admissions process?

Older applicants may face some challenges in the admissions process, such as having been out of school for a longer period of time or having less recent letters of recommendation. However, these challenges can be overcome by highlighting relevant experiences and skills, and providing strong letters of recommendation from professional contacts.

4. Are there any advantages to being an older applicant for top math grad school?

Yes, there can be advantages to being an older applicant for top math grad school. As mentioned earlier, maturity and life experience can bring a unique perspective to the program. Additionally, older applicants may have a clearer sense of their academic and career goals, and may be more focused and motivated in their studies.

5. How can older applicants improve their chances of being admitted to top math grad school?

To improve their chances of being admitted to top math grad school, older applicants should focus on highlighting their relevant experiences and skills, and providing strong letters of recommendation. They should also make sure to meet all of the academic and other requirements of the program, and demonstrate a strong passion and dedication for the field of mathematics.