Age expectation if a person is immortal if he's not murdered

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of someone surviving from the age of 12 to 82 and the potential factors that could affect their lifespan, such as murder. The conversation also explores different mathematical models to estimate the average lifespan of a person and the fraction of the cohort that could be affected by murder. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities of predicting human mortality and the different approaches that can be used to estimate it.
moonman239
A while back I posted a thread about the probability that someone who is alive at 12 years of age will be alive at age 82. This person could only die if he were murdered or if he died when he was greater than 82 years old.

Now, let's assume this person will live forever if he's not murdered. As before, we assume that the probability of him dieing in a one-year period is 1/18690. My question is, on average, how long could he expect to live?

I know that there's about a 50/50 chance he'd live to be 140 years old - is this the answer to my question?

Physics news on Phys.org
moonman239 said:
A while back I posted a thread about the probability that someone who is alive at 12 years of age will be alive at age 82. This person could only die if he were murdered or if he died when he was greater than 82 years old.

Now, let's assume this person will live forever if he's not murdered. As before, we assume that the probability of him dieing in a one-year period is 1/18690. My question is, on average, how long could he expect to live?

I know that there's about a 50/50 chance he'd live to be 140 years old - is this the answer to my question?

Where do you get that from? The person has a probability of (1-1/18690)^128 to survive for 128 years (past 12) This is about 99.3%. If you start at 0, the survival rate rounded to 3 significant figures is still 99.3%

Suppose the average survival age is a.
Someone will survive in a year with prob 18689/18690, and will still live a time a after that, so there's a probability of 18689/18690 of living a+1 years, and 1/18690 of living 0 years.
This means that ( 18689/18690)(a+1) = a, which means a = 18690.
The probability of living to the average age is ( 18689/18690)^18690, which is about 36%. (or 1/e)

My apologies. He has about 50/50 chance of living to be 12,967 years old.

Clearly, assuming someone is in the US, there's a very small chance they'll be murdered.

There is no need to assume people are immortal unless they're murdered. A simple arithmetic model can be used which is more appropriate to this kind of problem and does in fact give a similar answer for the problem you're posing for age 82 but can also answer the question I posed in that thread. That is: Given a constant annual murder rate of 0.00005 and 1/3 mortality at age 82, what fraction of the cohort (people born in the same year) will have been murdered when the entire cohort has died?

We can use some simplifying assumptions because of the lack of data. First we assume a straight line model from 1 to 0 for the fraction of the original cohort that survives at any point. At age 82 0.67 survive. The murder rate only applies to survivors in the cohort and must be adjusted against the rate in the general population. Second, because this is a straight line model, we can use the median/mean age to calculate the average annual survival in the interval. Thirdly, we can simply add the annual murder rate intervals to obtain the murder rate over a larger interval.

The mean/median age between 0 an 82 is 41. At this point 5/6 of the cohort survive. So we adjust the murder rate for survivors over the interval using median/mean value:

(0.00005)(0.833)=0.00004165; (0.00004165)(82)=0.00342, fairly close to other estimates.

Since your survival rate is optimistic, we get a maximum lifetime estimate from the straight line model of 246. Using the same method I get a fraction of murdered when the entire cohort has died of 0.00615. In the real world, this figure would be a bit lower than the rate obtained for age 82. (The actuarial survival at age 82 in the US (2003) is about 0.46.)

Last edited:
moonman239 said:

If the probability that a person will die each year has a fixed value, say p, then his age at death follows a geometric distribution, and its expected value is 1/p.

awkward said:
If the probability that a person will die each year has a fixed value, say p, then his age at death follows a geometric distribution, and its expected value is 1/p.

Did you mean expectation or point at which the last member of a cohort has died using the straight line method? It's the latter. The expectation is the median/mean of this "curve" which is 123. Half the members will have died at this point given a constant 1/246 death rate per year of the original cohort, that population taken as unity.

While simple, this method doesn't fit the data for the real human mortality curve. (It does fit many invertebrates pretty well.) However, if you connect the point x=0 with x=t by a straight line with t:39<x<71 you get reasonable answers if you're just interested in the mortality at some end point t.

The actual curve is better approximated by the logistic model:

[itex] \mu(x)=\alpha e^{\beta x}[/itex] where alpha and beta are positive real numbers. There are more elaborate refinements to this model.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
Did you mean expectation or point at which the last member of a cohort has died using the straight line method? It's the latter. The expectation is the median/mean of this "curve" which is 123. Half the members will have died at this point given a constant 1/246 death rate per year of the original cohort population taken as unity.

While simple, this method doesn't fit the data for the real human morality curve. (It does fit many invertebrates pretty well.) However, if you connect the point x=0 with x=t by a straight line with t:39<x<71 you get reasonable answers if you're just interested in the mortality at some end point t.

The actual curve is better approximated by the logistic model:

[itex] \mu(x)=\alpha e^{\beta x}[/itex] where alpha and beta are positive real numbers. There are more elaborate refinements to this model.
I mean the expected value:
[itex]E[X] = \sum_x x \; p(x)[/itex]

I agree that the geometric distribution model is over-simplified, but that's what the OP asked-- at least the one in this thread. I gather from some of the posts that there may be a history I am not privy to.

1. What is meant by "immortal" in this context?

In this context, "immortal" means that the person does not age or die from natural causes. They do not experience physical decay or disease that would typically lead to death.

2. How would this person's age be measured?

Since this person does not age, their age would not be measured in the traditional sense. Instead, it could be measured in terms of how long they have existed or how many experiences and memories they have accumulated.

3. Would this person still experience physical changes, such as puberty?

It is unclear whether or not this person would experience physical changes such as puberty. It is possible that their body would not undergo any changes since they do not age, but it is also possible that they may still go through these stages of development.

4. Would this person be immune to diseases?

Since this person does not age, they would not experience age-related diseases. However, it is unclear if they would be completely immune to all diseases. They may still be susceptible to diseases caused by external factors, such as viruses or bacteria.

5. Is it possible for this person to be killed or die in any way?

In theory, it is possible for this person to be killed or die in some way. They may still be vulnerable to accidents or injuries that could result in death, but they would not die from old age or natural causes.