Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Agonist/Antagonist muscle pairs (quick question)

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    agonist/antagonist muscle pairs. Let's say agonist flexes the finger. When agonist get paralyzed why does the finger stay in an extended position?

Ok I know this is obvious it is acting unopposed but my question is for the finger to stay in an extended position does the paralyzed person have to extend his finger first. What I mean is does the finger extend immediately after paralysis or does the person have to physically extend it once and then he can't flex it again so it stays that way.

When my hand is at rest my fingers are flexed? What is the reason for this. How does this flexion occur auto?

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    All muscles in your body have a resting muscle tone. It's this tone of the extensors that causes the finger extension when the flexes are paralyzed.

The flexor muscles are stronger than the extensors in your forearm. That's why your fingers are flexed in the resting position of the hand.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    I did a research based on your reply and yes it seems involuntary contraction from muscle tone that causes this. Thanks man. Welcome to the forum :smile:

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4
    You are welcome :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook