Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aid for understanding some calculations

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Its a while I'm trying to understand [ http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0108132v1.pdf ] but i have problem following its calculations.The part I have problem in now is the expansion in page 14,Eq. 50.Can anyone help me understand how that is done?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2013 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

Expand ##\hat U## as a Taylor series.

(If you need any more help than that, then please show your work, as if this were a question in the homework forum.)

4. Oct 9, 2013 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I know that.The point is,I don't know how to do such calculations in this abstract manner and without using matrix representations and with that method,I don't seem to get the same result as that of the mentioned paper.
    So,this is not actually like a homework thread,because i don't want the exact calculations.I just want an explanation,with some little examples,to understand how should I do it because I can't find a reference which helps me to understand that.
    Still,if it seems a homework thread to you,I should say I don't know what to do from the first place,so I can show no work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook