Air-Gap & Wireless Power Transmission Efficiency

In summary: Ah, that's much better. So with a gap of 10-20cm, what is the radius of the two coils? How much power do you want to transfer?The radius of the coils is around 1 meter, and the power transfer is up to 1W. The frequency of the system will be determined by the application.I was meant to write "cm" not "m" but I can't edit now.
Fatima Hasan
Summary:: How does the air-gap affect the efficiency ?

For a wireless power transmission system, to what extend does the efficiency and coupling parameters get affected by the distance between the coils?
What can be done to increase the power transmission or efficiency regardless of the value of air gap?

[Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts? And is this question also for schoolwork?

berkeman said:
What are your thoughts? And is this question also for schoolwork?
It's for a project as well.
I found that the length of the gap between the coils of 20m is suitable, but I'm looking for an optimum gap for the coils. So, I am asking if the length is reduced to 10m, for example, would the difference on the efficiency, the losses, .. be too much? Is it worth it ?

Fatima Hasan said:
I found that the length of the gap between the coils of 20m is suitable
By what specific criteria (numbers please) was this assessment reached ?

You may then apply the same criteria to make a new assessment of a different geometry. Numbers (and an assessment of their accuracy) are required.

Fatima Hasan said:
I found that the length of the gap between the coils of 20m is suitable, but I'm looking for an optimum gap for the coils. So, I am asking if the length is reduced to 10m, for example, would the difference on the efficiency, the losses, .. be too much?
10-20 meter gap? That seems like an excessive gap to try to trasfer any significant amount of power. Please show your calculations that show that 20m is "suitable".

Fatima Hasan said:
I found that the length of the gap between the coils of 20m is suitable, but I'm looking for an optimum gap for the coils. So, I am asking if the length is reduced to 10m, for example, would the difference on the efficiency, the losses, .. be too much? Is it worth it ?

I think it is almost impossible to realize the wireless charging of the vehicle at a distance of 20m between the TX coil and the RX coil. In most cases (from private cars to large trucks), I believe that the distance between the bottom of the vehicle and the ground may not exceed 50 cm. :smile:

Generally speaking, the smaller the gap, we can design a more efficient wireless charging system. If you want to find the best gap distance within the limits of other parameters, I would be curious about this design method and requirement. Hope you can provide more information for reference.

Likes berkeman
alan123hk said:
I think it is almost impossible to realize the wireless charging of the vehicle at a distance of 20m between the TX coil and the RX coil. In most cases (from private cars to large trucks), I believe that the distance between the bottom of the vehicle and the ground may not exceed 50 cm. :smile:

Generally speaking, the smaller the gap, we can design a more efficient wireless charging system. If you want to find the best gap distance within the limits of other parameters, I would be curious about this design method and requirement. Hope you can provide more information for reference.
I was meant to write "cm" not "m" but I can't edit now.

Fatima Hasan said:
I was meant to write "cm" not "m" but I can't edit now.
Ah, that's much better. So with a gap of 10-20cm, what is the radius of the two coils? How much power do you want to transfer? What frequency are you planning on using and why? :smile:

1. What is an air-gap and how does it affect wireless power transmission efficiency?

An air-gap refers to the physical distance between the power source and the receiver in wireless power transmission. This distance can greatly impact the efficiency of power transfer as it introduces losses and decreases the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How does the efficiency of air-gap and wireless power transmission compare to traditional wired power transmission?

The efficiency of wireless power transmission is typically lower than traditional wired power transmission due to the added losses from the air-gap. However, advancements in technology have improved the efficiency of wireless power transmission and it is now comparable to wired power transmission in some cases.

3. What factors can affect the efficiency of air-gap and wireless power transmission?

The efficiency of air-gap and wireless power transmission can be affected by several factors including the distance between the power source and receiver, the strength of the magnetic field, the materials used in the power source and receiver, and any obstructions or interference in the transmission path.

4. Is there a maximum distance for air-gap and wireless power transmission?

The maximum distance for air-gap and wireless power transmission depends on the technology being used and the power requirements of the receiver. Generally, the larger the distance, the lower the efficiency of power transfer.

5. What are some potential applications for air-gap and wireless power transmission?

Air-gap and wireless power transmission have many potential applications, including charging electronic devices without the need for cords or cables, powering medical implants, and providing electricity to remote or hard-to-reach areas. It also has potential uses in the automotive industry, such as wirelessly charging electric vehicles.