Air pressure in a container then released

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the number of moles of air that escape from a sealed container after being exposed to different temperatures and pressures. The equations used are ni=PiVi/RTi and nf=PfVf/RTf, and the final pressure in the vessel is equal after letting the air escape. The solution involves finding the initial and final number of moles and then subtracting to determine the amount that escaped.
talaroue

Homework Statement

The air temperature and pressure in a laboratory are 22°C and 1.3 atm. A 2.05 L container is open to the air. The container is then sealed and placed in a bath of boiling water. After reaching thermal equilibrium, the container is open. How many moles of air escape?

Homework Equations

ni=PiVi/RTi

nf=PfVf/RTf

The Attempt at a Solution

I easily found ni by plugging in for the top equation (131690 Pa*.00205 m^3) / (8.31 * 295K) and got .110 mols

then I found the nf by doing the same thing except assuming that Pf is 1 atm (101300 Pa) and that the Tf is 100 deg C(273 K), with constant volume. I got .066 Then I subtracted the ni-nf to get how many mols are left. Why wouldn't this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
I even tried the final pressure (Pf) the same as the intital pressure (Pi) of 131690 and it still didn't work.

any ideas?

talaroue said:
I even tried the final pressure (Pf) the same as the intital pressure (Pi) of 131690 and it still didn't work.

The final pressure in the vessel will be equal after letting the air escape.

Consider then how many moles will be in the container when the pressure equalizes.

With P and V the same then don't you have ...

nf * Tf = ni * Ti

nf = .110 moles * (295/373)

The difference is how much escapes.

1. What is air pressure in a container?

Air pressure in a container refers to the force exerted by the air molecules inside the container on its walls. It is caused by the constant collisions of air molecules with each other and the walls of the container.

2. What happens to air pressure when a container is released?

When a container is released, the air pressure inside the container decreases. This is because the air molecules are allowed to spread out and occupy a larger volume, resulting in a decrease in the number of collisions with the walls of the container.

3. How does temperature affect air pressure in a container?

Temperature has a direct effect on air pressure in a container. When the temperature increases, the air molecules gain more energy and move faster, resulting in an increase in the number of collisions and therefore an increase in air pressure. Conversely, when the temperature decreases, the air molecules slow down and the number of collisions and air pressure decreases.

4. What is the relationship between volume and air pressure in a container?

According to Boyle's Law, there is an inverse relationship between volume and air pressure in a container. This means that as the volume of the container decreases, the air pressure increases and vice versa. This relationship holds true as long as the temperature and number of air molecules remain constant.

5. How does the shape of a container affect air pressure?

The shape of a container does not have a significant effect on air pressure. As long as the volume and temperature remain constant, the air pressure will remain the same regardless of the container's shape. However, the surface area of the container can affect the rate at which the air pressure changes when the container is released.