Pressure in cylinder, find moles of air entered. Please help

In summary, the problem involves a cylindrical can filled with an ideal gas, which is heated and then allowed to reach atmospheric pressure when some gas is released. The gas is then cooled and the pressure and force exerted on the cap are determined. The final part of the problem asks for the number of moles of air that would enter the can if the cap develops a leak and the final equilibrium is reached at atmospheric pressure and 296 K. The correct answer is 0.01207 moles.
awertag
Pressure in cylinder, find moles of air entered. Please help! :)

Homework Statement

The inside of the cylindrical can shown above has cross-sectional area 0.0044 m2 and length 0.28 m. The can is filled with an ideal gas and covered with a loose cap. The gas is heated to 385 K and some is allowed to escape from the can so that the remaining gas reaches atmospheric pressure (1.0 x 105 Pa). The cap is now tightened, and the gas is cooled to 296 K.

(a) What is the pressure of the cooled gas? 1Your answer is correct. Pa
(b) Determine the upward force exerted on the cap by the cooled gas inside the can. 2Your answer is correct. N
(c) If the cap develops a leak, how many moles of air would enter the can as it reaches a final equilibrium at 296 K and atmospheric pressure?
3Your answer is incorrect. moles (Assume that air is an ideal gas.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got parts a and b. I can't get part c, the number of moles of air that would enter.
I've tried some different things and basically got the same answers within the range .01207-.01208 mol.

One method i tried:
find initial number of moles by PV=nRT, where P=76883.1169 (found for part a), V=.001232, R=8.315, and T=296...I got initial moles (ni)=.03848

Then, I did PV/nRT = PV/nRT which simplifies down to Pi/ni = Pf/nf.
Plug in Pi=76883.1169, ni=.03848, Pf=1.01e5 and nf is unknown.
Solve for nf and get .05055.

Finally, do nf-ni = .05055-.03848 = .01207 moles.

Unfortunately, that is not correct.

Can you tell me where I'm going wrong or if perhaps I am on the entirely incorrect track here?

Thanks so much,

--aweg

Physics news on Phys.org

Never Mind! :D lol i had been putting 1.01e5 instead of 1e5 every method.. oops

Related to Pressure in cylinder, find moles of air entered. Please help

1. How do you calculate the pressure in a cylinder?

To calculate the pressure in a cylinder, you need to know the force exerted on the gas inside the cylinder and the area of the cylinder. The pressure can be calculated by dividing the force by the area.

2. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to pressure in a cylinder?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of gas. It states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas and the temperature, and inversely proportional to the volume of the gas. Therefore, when calculating the pressure in a cylinder, the ideal gas law can be used to determine the number of moles of gas present.

3. How do you find the number of moles of air that entered a cylinder?

To find the number of moles of air that entered a cylinder, you need to know the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas inside the cylinder. Using the ideal gas law, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the number of moles of gas. Then, subtract the initial number of moles from the final number of moles to determine the amount of air that entered the cylinder.

4. What units are typically used to measure pressure in a cylinder?

The most commonly used units to measure pressure in a cylinder are atmospheres (atm), pascals (Pa), or pounds per square inch (psi). However, depending on the specific application, other units such as bar or kilopascals (kPa) may be used.

5. Can the pressure in a cylinder change over time?

Yes, the pressure in a cylinder can change over time. This is because as gas is added or removed from the cylinder, the volume and/or temperature of the gas may also change, causing the pressure to fluctuate. Additionally, factors such as leaks or changes in the surrounding environment can also affect the pressure in a cylinder.