Air Pressure Regulator velocity

In summary, the pressure regulator has a working range of 0 to 2 bar outlet pressure and 5 bar inlet pressure with a flow rate of 600 Lit/min. However, it's important to note that the velocity of the air in the 1/4" outlet port may not be practical for all scenarios and it's important to consider units and specific equipment specifications when discussing compressed air.
Suresh Gadekar
I have a pressure regulator that has working the range of outlet pressure 0 to 2 bar, inlet pressure 5 bar, flow rate of 600lit/min and the regulator has 1/4" outlet port (6.35mm). whole data is according to manual I have not tested the regulator. But for flow rate of 600lit/min the velocity must be around 335m/s in the 1/4" diameter, so is this the practical velocity in an outlet port?

Engineering news on Phys.org
As noted in your other thread: no.

First, I assume the outlet pressure range is 0 to 2 bar gage pressure, or ~14.7 - 43.7 psia (just using the "standard" atmospheric air pressure). Units are extremely important when discussing compressed air.

Second, a 1/4 NPT fitting will not have a 1/4" inside diameter. Check on the actual specs of the equipment you are using/planning to use (for instance, a 1/4" npt pipe will have an inside diameter of 0.364", not 0.25") The specific fitting you are using will have manufacturer data, which you should look at, that will tell you the throat diameter.

Third, you really need to specify of the 600 Lit/min is normalized volumetric flow rate, or actual volumetric flow rate. 600 Liters of air, when compressed to 2 bar (absolute) will be, volumetrically, 200 Liters. This is very important when calculating line velocities and friction losses.

I want to reiterate: In no way is 600 Liters per minute a practical velocity for a 1/4 inch fitting. It may work for some specific scenarios, but it is neither practical, nor good design.

Likes billy_joule
I should point out that I meant it would be 200 Liters when compressed to 2 bar gage, not absolute as my previous post notes.

Related to Air Pressure Regulator velocity

1. What is an air pressure regulator velocity?

An air pressure regulator velocity is a device that controls the flow of air and maintains a consistent pressure within a system. It regulates the velocity or speed at which air is released from a pressurized source.

2. Why is an air pressure regulator velocity important?

An air pressure regulator velocity is important because it ensures that the pressure within a system remains within a safe and efficient range. It also helps to control the speed and direction of air flow, which is crucial in many industrial and scientific processes.

3. How does an air pressure regulator velocity work?

An air pressure regulator velocity works by using a diaphragm and spring mechanism to control the flow of air. When the pressure in the system reaches a certain level, the diaphragm opens to allow air to escape, and when the pressure drops, the spring closes the diaphragm to restrict the flow.

4. What factors can affect the performance of an air pressure regulator velocity?

Several factors can affect the performance of an air pressure regulator velocity, including the type and quality of the regulator, the pressure and temperature of the air, and any obstructions or blockages in the system. It is important to regularly maintain and calibrate the regulator to ensure optimal performance.

5. Where is an air pressure regulator velocity commonly used?

An air pressure regulator velocity is commonly used in various industries, including manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, and healthcare. It is also used in scientific research and experimentation, particularly in experiments that require precise control of air flow and pressure.