Air Resistance of a Diver using Ek and Eg

In summary, the 57.0 kg diver dives from a height of 15.0 m and reaches a speed of 14.0 m/s just before entering the water. The average force of air resistance acting on the diver is 372.4N, and the force of friction underwater, taking into account the buoyant force of 500 N, is 186.2N. The actual velocity of the diver is less than what would be expected in a vacuum, indicating a lessened acceleration due to the force of air resistance. The sum of forces approach can be used to determine the air resistance force, while the conservation of energy approach can also yield a similar result.
physicsmyfav

Homework Statement

A 57.0 kg diver dives from a height of 15.0 m. She reaches a speed of 14.0 m/s just before entering the water. What was the average force of air resistance (e.g., friction) acting on the diver?
What is the force of friction underwater if she reaches a depth of 2.5 m before stopping? Do not neglect the buoyant force of 500 N acting on the diver once underwater

Homework Equations

Eg=mgh
Ek=(1/2)mv^2
Et=Ek+Eg
W=Ef-Ei
W=change in Ek
W=fd

The Attempt at a Solution

Ek=(1/2)(57kg)(14m/s)^2
=5586J

W=Ek
=5586J-0J

W=fd
5586J=F(15m)
5586/15=F
F=372.4N

Fnet=ma
=(57kg)(9.8N/kg)
=558.6N

Fnet=558.6N
Fapp-Ff=558.6N
372.4N-Ff=558.6N
Ff=186.2N

I'm not sure if I solved for friction properly. The way that I solved here doesn't work for the next step in the water, so I think initially started wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the actual velocity of the diver about to enter the water compare to what would be expected in a vacuum? What would that imply about the actual acceleration?

The only acceleration would be that of gravity 9.8.

physicsmyfav said:
The only acceleration would be that of gravity 9.8.

What I am trying to say is that the velocity of the diver ( as given in the problem) is somewhat less than what would result from g when falling from the height (as given in the problem). Clearly the diver is accelerating less than g and that is due to the force of air resistance. You can use Newton's Second law to determine what this force is.

It just occurred to me that the problem or the instructor wants the problem solved by COE. In this case, unless I made a math mistake, I get an answer close to yours. I took the sum of forces approach because it was a more straightforward way of addressing the buoyant force once the diver enters the water.

What is air resistance?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves through the air.

How does air resistance affect a diver?

Air resistance affects a diver by slowing down their descent and reducing their velocity.

What is Ek and Eg?

Ek and Eg are symbols used to represent kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy, respectively.

How does air resistance affect the Ek and Eg of a diver?

Air resistance affects the Ek and Eg of a diver by converting some of their kinetic energy into heat and sound energy, thus reducing their overall energy.

Can air resistance be reduced in order to increase the Ek and Eg of a diver?

Yes, air resistance can be reduced by making a diver more streamlined, reducing their surface area, or increasing their speed, resulting in a higher Ek and Eg.