Solving a Coconut's Fall: Speed, Work, & Air Resistance

In summary, a coconut of mass 2.30 kg falls from a height of 35.0 m with a gravitational acceleration of 9.78 m/s^2. It hits the ground with a speed of 26.2 m/s. Using the work-kinetic energy theorem, the work done by air resistance when it hits the ground with a speed of 23.9 m/s is 657 J. The average work done by air resistance is 722 J, and the average force of air resistance is 3.71 N.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A coconut, with ##m = 2.30 kg##, falls from rest from a tree which is ##h = 35.0 m## high. Take ##g = 9.78 m/s^2##.

1. What speed does the coconut hit the ground? Ignore air resistance.

2. If it actually hits the ground with a speed of ##23.9 m/s##, how much work was done by air resistance?

3. Air resistance actually varies with speed, but it is possible to calculate an average value for the air resistance using (1) and (2). Find this average force.

Homework Equations

Assume +x and +y are positive.

Picture of the scenario: http://gyazo.com/80cbb4b9e840106dc893e99eb1b76020

The Attempt at a Solution

Place a datum plane at the bottom with which to reference potential energy.

1. I simply used conservation. At the top, there is only potential. At the bottom, all the energy is kinetic, hence:

##U_{g_i} = K_f##
##mgh_i = \frac{1}{2} mv_f^2##
##(2.30)(9.78)(35.0) = \frac{1}{2} (2.30) v_f^2##
##v_f = \sqrt{2(9.78)(35.0)} = 26.165 m/s = 26.2 m/s##​

2. I was thinking I should use the work-kinetic energy theorem for this.

##W = \Delta K = K_f - K_i = \frac{1}{2} (2.30) (23.9)^2 = 656.892 J = 657 J##​

3. From part (1), we know that the work done by the air resistance is:

##W_1 = \Delta K = K_f - K_i = \frac{1}{2} (2.30) (26.165)^2 = 787.298 J = 787 J##​

From part (2), we know ##W_2 = 656.892 J = 657 J## hence the average work done by air resistance can be found:

##W_{avg} = \frac{W_1 + W_2}{2} = 722.095 J = 722 J##​

Hence we can find the average force of the air resistance (assuming it's not variable):

##W_{avg} = F_{air} d cos(\theta)##
##722.095 = F_{air} (- 35.0) cos(180°)##
##F_{air} = \frac{722.095}{35.0} = 20.631 N = 20.6 N##​

The positive answer indicates that the air resistance acts in the +y direction.

Does this look okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:
2. I was thinking I should use the work-kinetic energy theorem for this.

##W = \Delta K = K_f - K_i = \frac{1}{2} (2.30) (23.9)^2 = 656.892 J = 657 J##​
This is the net work done when air resistance acts.

3. From part (1), we know that the work done by the air resistance is:

##W_1 = \Delta K = K_f - K_i = \frac{1}{2} (2.30) (26.165)^2 = 787.298 J = 787 J##​
This is the net work done when air resistance does not act.

Revise your answers accordingly.

Likes 1 person
Doc Al said:
This is the net work done when air resistance acts.

This is the net work done when air resistance does not act.

Revise your answers accordingly.

Thank you, I have face-palmed accordingly.

So when air resistance does not act, the work done is ##W_1 = 787 J##.

When air resistance does act, the work done is ##W_2 = 657 J##.

The difference between the work done when there is no air resistance and when there is air resistance is ##W_1 - W_2 = 130 J##.

Finding the average force of the air resistance now yields ##F_{air} = 3.714 N = 3.71 N##.

Now you're cooking. :thumbs:

I would say that your solution looks mostly correct. However, there are a few things that could be improved upon.

Firstly, in part 1, you have correctly used the conservation of energy principle to find the final velocity of the coconut. However, it would be more accurate to use the formula for gravitational potential energy, ##U_g = mgh##, instead of ##U_{g_i}##, which is not a commonly used notation.

In part 2, you have correctly used the work-kinetic energy theorem to find the work done by air resistance. However, it would be more accurate to use the formula ##W = \int F_{air} dx##, where ##F_{air}## is the variable force of air resistance and ##dx## is the displacement of the coconut. This takes into account the fact that air resistance is not a constant force and varies with the speed of the coconut.

In part 3, you have correctly calculated the average work done by air resistance and used it to find the average force of air resistance. However, it would be more accurate to use the formula ##F_{avg} = \frac{\Delta p}{\Delta t}##, where ##\Delta p## is the change in momentum of the coconut and ##\Delta t## is the time it takes for the coconut to fall. This takes into account the fact that air resistance is a force that acts over a period of time, not just at the moment of impact.

Overall, your solution is a good start, but with a few improvements, it could be even more accurate and scientifically rigorous.

1. How does the speed of a coconut's fall affect its impact?

The speed of a coconut's fall directly affects its impact, as the force of impact is equal to the mass of the coconut multiplied by its acceleration due to gravity. This means that the faster the coconut falls, the greater its impact will be.

2. What is the relationship between work and a coconut's fall?

The work done on a coconut as it falls is equal to the force of gravity multiplied by the distance the coconut falls. This means that the higher the coconut falls from, the more work will be done on it.

3. How does air resistance affect a coconut's fall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down the speed of a falling coconut. This means that air resistance can decrease the impact and work done on a coconut as it falls.

4. What factors can affect the speed of a coconut's fall?

The speed of a coconut's fall can be affected by various factors, including its mass, the force of gravity, the height from which it falls, and the presence of air resistance. Other factors such as wind and air density can also influence the speed of a coconut's fall.

5. How can we calculate the speed of a falling coconut?

The speed of a falling coconut can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the coconut falls. Alternatively, the speed can also be calculated by measuring the time it takes for the coconut to fall and using the equation v = g x t, where t is the time in seconds.