1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Aircraft engine design books from 1900-1920

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    I'm interested in the knowledge that was available to aircraft engineers in the period 1900-1920. specifically the thermodynamics and mechanical engineering knowledge generally available, like in how much detail were the calculations on the performance, or the cooling of engines done, how general was the knowledge on the different thermodynamic cycles and how were they used, how much knowledge was based on observations, measurements and correlations?

Example: The gas, petrol and oil engine, by Dugald Clerk (1910) which you can find online.
    I'm hoping to find one or two books that are treating aircraft engines in more detail from this period.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most of it in the early days .

The need to apply more advanced theoretical knowledge to engine design only really became essential with the coming of superchargers and high altitude flight .

Even at Rolls Royce no detailed theoretical analysis of engine performance was done until Dr.Hooker joined the company in about 1938 and started to apply his knowledge of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to first piston engine and then to jet engine design .

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  4. Dec 7, 2016 #3
    It's what I concluded after browsing through the book of Dugald Clerk. A lot of experiments, derivations of flame temperatures based on pressure readings,a lot of work still on basic properties of gases (specific heat) but also some references to the work of le Chatelier, Wien, Boyle,...

5. Dec 7, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted