1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alculate the x-component of the electric field

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Positive charge Q is distributed uniformly along the positive y-axis between y=0 and y=a . A negative point charge −q lies on the positive x-axis, a distance x from the origin

Calculate the x-component of the electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis.

Calculate the y-component of the electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis.

2. Relevant equations
    E = q/4πε0r2
    r2 = x2+y2

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I was able to get the first part of the question relatively easily by using some techniques from the textbook, which resulted in the correct answer:

dEx = Q/4πε0x√(x2+a2)

But when I try to find the y-component, I get the answer:

dEy = (Q/(8πε0a))*(1-(x/(√x2+a2)))

This answer results in the following message from the website:
    "Your answer either contains an incorrect numerical multiplier or is missing one."

I need help finding the problem since I don't know where I may have gone wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2015 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Just making sure; do you mean, "on the positive y-axis"?

This gave you the correct answer? The units are incorrect. It might be simply a typo (because it's almost correct) but I want to make sure you understand how to do this before finding the y-component.

Edit:
    The units are correct sorry... I misread the equation

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  4. Feb 19, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Assuming it is intended as Ex = Q/(4πε0x√(x2+a2)), the dimensions are correct (but yes, the expression is wrong... it should not tend to infinity as x tends to zero).

5. Feb 19, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't say how you got that answer. We can't tell you where you went wrong if you don't post your working/logic.

6. Feb 19, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As pointed out in post #2, this answer is incorrect. Did you do a typo somewhere? And why "dEx"? It's just Ex.
    You should be figuring the problem out for yourself rather than looking for formulas in a textbook.
    If you did that you would have come up with one definite integral over y=0 to y=a for the x component, and a different definite integral, also over y=0 to y=a, for the y component.
    BTW why is q mentioned in the problem?
    Also, both the x and y components of the E field are obviously negative for all x. The answers have to be sign-reversed in x for x < 0.

7. Feb 19, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Most likely for a later part of the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted