1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra basic equations. r-2[1-3(2r+4)] = 61

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am apparently missing a few details from the process of solving this...
    This is a question from the chapter 1.1 basic equations of the text book 'Algebra and trigonometry'

The question is:
    r-2[1-3(2r+4)] = 61

I am supposed to isolate the variable and find the value of r.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to simplify the left hand side of the equation, then attempted to isolate the variable.

The answer is apparently '3'

Also, what is a good process to study? I am right now teaching myself algebra and trigonometry. Any tips about the studying process will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, why don't you show us what each step you did was? We will be able to instantly find any mistakes you made, or give you guidance as to what the next step is.

Something many students don't realize is that checking answers is a lot easier than finding them. To see if the answer really is 3 all you have to do is plug 3 into your original equation and calculate what the left hand side comes out to be. I would recommend doing it.

Questions along the lines of "what's a good way to study?" are too broad to be useful. Read things and do lots of problems to practice is basically how you study, and how much reading and how much practicing you do depends a lot on the individual.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted