1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra /derivatives/ chain rule/

1. Mar 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

##J=r^{2}\dot{\phi}## [1]
    ##\dot{r^{2}}=E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r}##. [2]
    (the context is geodesic equation GR, but I'm pretty sure this is irrelevant).

where ##u=r^{-1}##

Question: From these two equations to derive ##(\frac{du}{d\phi})^{2}=\frac{1}{J^{2}}(E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r})##

2. Relevant equations

As above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that ##(\frac{du}{d\phi})^{2}=(\frac{\dot{u^{2}}}{\dot{\phi^{2}})}##.

The ##J^{2}## in the denominator is throwing me, I see from [1] that ##\dot{\phi}=Jr^{-2}## so there's some relation between ##\dot{\phi}## and ##J##, but what about a ## r^{-4}## term with the ##J^{2}##, since the long term in brackets remains from [2].

I'm guessing I'm missing something simple but I've spent a long time looking at it and no luck.

Cheers.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is NO "u" in either of the two equations, so your result makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
  4. Mar 23, 2015 #3
    cheers, edited.

5. Mar 27, 2015 #4
    Bump. Anyone please, I'm still stuck?

6. Mar 30, 2015 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand this problem. ##r## and ##\phi## are coordinates, right? So r isn't an invertible function, and 1/r isn't a function of ##\phi##. So what do you mean by ##r^{-1}##? I think you will need to include a lot more information.

7. Mar 30, 2015 #6
    Original post, first lst line under the attempt at the solution
    We have both ##\phi## and ##r## differentiated with respect to some paramater, denoted by a dot, so dividing these two has gave ## du / \ d \phi ##

8. Mar 30, 2015 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All you're saying there, is that if ##u## is a function of ##\phi##, and ##\phi## is a function of ##t##, then
    $$\frac{du}{dt}=\frac{du}{d\varphi}\frac{d\varphi}{dt}.$$ This is just the chain rule. But you haven't posted a meaningful definition of ##u##. You said that ##u=r^{-1}##, but the map that takes ##t## to ##r## isn't invertible so did you really mean the inverse of that non-invertible function? If you meant ##1/r##, then ##r## has to be a function of ##\phi## (if it's not, then ##u## isn't, and the chain rule can't be applied as written).

You need to post the full problem statement.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  9. Apr 1, 2015 #8
    I'm looking at Tod and Hughston introductuction to GR and it says introducing a new variable ##u=r^{-1}## from [1] and [2] we can solve for ##u## as a function of ##\phi##.

This is all the book says

10. Apr 1, 2015 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm pretty sure that u = r-1 means u = 1/r in this context.

Let u = 1/r, so r = 1/u
    From this we have dr/dt = -1/u2 ( du/dt)

Dispensing with the dot notation, equation [2] is ##(\frac{dr}{dt})^2=E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r}##
    Hence with the u substitution, we have ##(\frac{-1}{u^2})^2(\frac{du}{dt})^2=E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r}##
    Multiply both sides by u4 to get
    ##(\frac{du}{dt})^2=u^4(E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r})##
    Multiply both sides by ##(\frac{dt}{d\phi})^2## and the desired result can be quickly obtained.

From the OP, I am inferring that both ##\phi## and r are differentiable functions of t, otherwise ##\dot{\phi}## and ##\dot{r}## wouldn't make sense.

11. Apr 2, 2015 #10

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, if u=1/r, and there's a constraint that ensures that if you know the value of one of the variables ##r##, ##\phi## and ##t##, you can calculate the values of the other two, then the proof is a straightforward calculation. The word "geodesic" was mentioned, so I guess these variables must be sufficiently constrained by the assumption that the curve we're dealing with is a geodesic. I haven't tried to prove that, but it sounds reasonable when you think about straight lines in ##\mathbb R^2## for example.

I would do this calculation by proving that ##\frac{du}{dt}## is equal to both ##-u^2\dot r## and ##\frac{du}{d\phi}Ju^2##. This implies that ##\big(\frac{du}{d\phi}\big)^2=\frac{\dot r^2}{J^2}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted