Algebra /derivatives/ chain rule/

In summary: Hence, from the chain rule, we have$$\frac{d}{dt} (r^2\dot{\phi}) = \dot{r}^2 \dot{\phi} + r^2 \ddot{\phi} = 0$$and$$\frac{d}{dt} \dot{r}^2 = 2 \dot{r} \ddot{r} = 2 \dot{r} \left( \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{dr}{dt} \right) \right) = 2 \dot{r} \left( \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{d}{d\
binbagsss

Homework Statement

##J=r^{2}\dot{\phi}## [1]
##\dot{r^{2}}=E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r}##. [2]
(the context is geodesic equation GR, but I'm pretty sure this is irrelevant).

where ##u=r^{-1}##

Question: From these two equations to derive ##(\frac{du}{d\phi})^{2}=\frac{1}{J^{2}}(E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r})##

Homework Equations

As above.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that ##(\frac{du}{d\phi})^{2}=(\frac{\dot{u^{2}}}{\dot{\phi^{2}})}##.

The ##J^{2}## in the denominator is throwing me, I see from [1] that ##\dot{\phi}=Jr^{-2}## so there's some relation between ##\dot{\phi}## and ##J##, but what about a ## r^{-4}## term with the ##J^{2}##, since the long term in brackets remains from [2].

I'm guessing I'm missing something simple but I've spent a long time looking at it and no luck.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

##\dot{r^{2}}=E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r}##. [2]
(the context is geodesic equation GR, but I'm pretty sure this is irrelevant).

Question: From these two equations to derive ##(\frac{du}{d\phi})^{2}=\frac{1}{J^{2}}(E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r})##
There is NO "u" in either of the two equations, so your result makes no sense.

2. Homework Equations
As above.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that ##(\frac{du}{d\phi})^{2}=(\frac{\dot{u^{2}}}{\dot{\phi^{2}})}##.

The ##J^{2}## in the denominator is throwing me, I see from [1] that ##\dot{\phi}=Jr^{-2}## so there's some relation between ##\dot{\phi}## and ##J##, but what about a ## r^{-4}## term with the ##J^{2}##, since the long term in brackets remains from [2].

I'm guessing I'm missing something simple but I've spent a long time looking at it and no luck.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
There is NO "u" in either of the two equations, so your result makes no sense.

cheers, edited.

Bump. Anyone please, I'm still stuck?

I don't understand this problem. ##r## and ##\phi## are coordinates, right? So r isn't an invertible function, and 1/r isn't a function of ##\phi##. So what do you mean by ##r^{-1}##? I think you will need to include a lot more information.

Fredrik said:
I don't understand this problem. ##r## and ##\phi## are coordinates, right? So r isn't an invertible function, and 1/r isn't a function of ##\phi##. So what do you mean by ##r^{-1}##? I think you will need to include a lot more information.
Original post, first lst line under the attempt at the solution
We have both ##\phi## and ##r## differentiated with respect to some paramater, denoted by a dot, so dividing these two has gave ## du / \ d \phi ##

binbagsss said:
Original post, first lst line under the attempt at the solution
We have both ##\phi## and ##r## differentiated with respect to some paramater, denoted by a dot, so dividing these two has gave ## du / \ d \phi ##
All you're saying there, is that if ##u## is a function of ##\phi##, and ##\phi## is a function of ##t##, then
$$\frac{du}{dt}=\frac{du}{d\varphi}\frac{d\varphi}{dt}.$$ This is just the chain rule. But you haven't posted a meaningful definition of ##u##. You said that ##u=r^{-1}##, but the map that takes ##t## to ##r## isn't invertible so did you really mean the inverse of that non-invertible function? If you meant ##1/r##, then ##r## has to be a function of ##\phi## (if it's not, then ##u## isn't, and the chain rule can't be applied as written).

You need to post the full problem statement.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
All you're saying there, is that if ##u## is a function of ##\phi##, and ##\phi## is a function of ##t##, then
$$\frac{du}{dt}=\frac{du}{d\varphi}\frac{d\varphi}{dt}.$$ This is just the chain rule. But you haven't posted a meaningful definition of ##u##. You said that ##u=r^{-1}##, but the map that takes ##t## to ##r## isn't invertible so did you really mean the inverse of that non-invertible function? If you meant ##1/r##, then ##r## has to be a function of ##\phi## (if it's not, then ##u## isn't, and the chain rule can't be applied as written).

You need to post the full problem statement.

I'm looking at Tod and Hughston introductuction to GR and it says introducing a new variable ##u=r^{-1}## from [1] and [2] we can solve for ##u## as a function of ##\phi##.

This is all the book says

Fredrik said:
I'm pretty sure that u = r-1 means u = 1/r in this context.

binbagsss said:
##\dot{r^{2}}=E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r}##[2].
Let u = 1/r, so r = 1/u
From this we have dr/dt = -1/u2 ( du/dt)

Dispensing with the dot notation, equation [2] is ##(\frac{dr}{dt})^2=E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r}##
Hence with the u substitution, we have ##(\frac{-1}{u^2})^2(\frac{du}{dt})^2=E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r}##
Multiply both sides by u4 to get
##(\frac{du}{dt})^2=u^4(E^{2}-1-\frac{J^{2}}{r^{2}}+\frac{2MJ^{2}}{r^{3}}+\frac{2M}{r})##
Multiply both sides by ##(\frac{dt}{d\phi})^2## and the desired result can be quickly obtained.

From the OP, I am inferring that both ##\phi## and r are differentiable functions of t, otherwise ##\dot{\phi}## and ##\dot{r}## wouldn't make sense.

Likes binbagsss and Fredrik
OK, if u=1/r, and there's a constraint that ensures that if you know the value of one of the variables ##r##, ##\phi## and ##t##, you can calculate the values of the other two, then the proof is a straightforward calculation. The word "geodesic" was mentioned, so I guess these variables must be sufficiently constrained by the assumption that the curve we're dealing with is a geodesic. I haven't tried to prove that, but it sounds reasonable when you think about straight lines in ##\mathbb R^2## for example.

I would do this calculation by proving that ##\frac{du}{dt}## is equal to both ##-u^2\dot r## and ##\frac{du}{d\phi}Ju^2##. This implies that ##\big(\frac{du}{d\phi}\big)^2=\frac{\dot r^2}{J^2}##.

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and represent mathematical relationships.

2. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are a fundamental concept in calculus that represent the rate of change of a function at a specific point. They are used to find slopes of curves, calculate velocities, and solve optimization problems.

3. How do you use the chain rule?

The chain rule is a rule in calculus that allows you to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function made up of multiple functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

4. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions that cannot be easily solved using basic derivatives. It is also a fundamental concept in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

5. How do you apply the chain rule in real-life situations?

The chain rule can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the acceleration of a moving object, determining the rate of change of a population over time, or finding the optimal production level for a company. It is also used in fields like finance and economics to model and predict changes in variables over time.