1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra of Differential Equation

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    I need to solve dy/dx=(y-1)^2
    dy/(y-1)^2=dx
    dy/u^2=x+c
    -u^-1=x+c
    -1/y-1=x+c
    -1=(x+c)(y-1)
    y-1=-1/(x+c)
    y=(x+c-1)/(x+c)
    y(0)=1
    1=c-1/c
    1=1-1/c
    I don't know where my algebra is messing up?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure about your initial condition y(0) = 1? My work is the same as yours. If you look at the graph of y = 1 - 1/(x + c), there is a vertical asymptote at x = -c, and a horizontal asymptote for the line y = 1. No matter what c is, y will never equal 1.

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    Yes, the initial condition is y(0)=1. I have looked in the back of the book and the answer is in fact y=1.

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4

Mark44

Yep, that works. To take this into account, we need to look at this step:
    dy/(y - 1)^2 = dx
    The left side is defined only if y is not 1. If y = 1, the differential equation is y' = 0, so y = K. With your initial condition, this gives y(x) = 1.

For any other initial condition, y(x) is as you had it.

6. Nov 18, 2009 #5
    Ok, I guess that makes sense, but I was hoping I could solve it algebraically.

7. Nov 18, 2009 #6

Mark44

Isn't y' = 0 ==> y = K algebraic enough for you? I wouldn't describe this as an "algebraic" solution, though. This is a very simple differential equation, and its solution is equally simple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook