1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra of displacement operator

1. Oct 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given an operator ##D(\alpha)=\exp\ (\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)## and a function ##g(a,a^{\dagger})##, where ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}## are operators and ##\alpha## and ##\alpha^{*}## are complex numbers, show that

##D^{-1}(\alpha)g(a,a^{\dagger})D(\alpha)=g(a+\alpha, a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*})##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##D^{-1}(\alpha)g(a,a^{\dagger})D(\alpha)##

##=\exp\ (-\alpha a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*}a)\ g(a,a^{\dagger})\ \exp\ (\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)##

##=(1-\alpha a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*}a)\ g(a,a^{\dagger})\ (1+\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)##

##=g(a,a^{\dagger})+\alpha^{*}[a,g(a,a^{\dagger})]-\alpha[a^{\dagger},g(a,a^{\dagger})]##.

On the other hand,

##g(a+\alpha, a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*})##

##=g(a, a^{\dagger}) + \alpha \frac{\partial g(a,a^{\dagger})}{\partial \alpha} + \alpha^{*} \frac{\partial g(a,a^{\dagger})}{\partial \alpha^{*}}##.

This seems to suggest that

##\frac{\partial g(a,a^{\dagger})}{\partial \alpha^{*}}=[a,g(a,a^{\dagger})]##

and

##\frac{\partial g(a,a^{\dagger})}{\partial \alpha}=-[a^{\dagger},g(a,a^{\dagger})]##.

Am I missing something here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2016 #2
    You can't expand the operators like that - this assumes that ##\alpha## is infinitesimal, which is not true.
    First, establish how ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}## transform under the action of the displacement operator i.e. what are ##D(\alpha)^{-1} a D(\alpha)## and ##D(\alpha)^{-1} a^{\dagger} D(\alpha)##. Then insert factors of ##D(\alpha) D^{-1} (\alpha)## between each pair of creation/annihilation operators in ##g(a,a^{\dagger})##.

4. Oct 23, 2016 #3
    But ##g(\alpha,\alpha^{\dagger})## is a generic function, and might not have pairings of ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}##.

5. Oct 23, 2016 #4
    I think its fair to assume that any reasonably well behaved function of the operators can be expressed as a sum of operator products. After all, most elementary functions of operators (eg. exponential) are defined in terms of their power series expansions.

6. Oct 23, 2016 #5
    But, the exponential ##\exp(a)## of an operator ##a## is

##\exp(a)=1+a+\frac{1}{2!}a^{2}+\frac{1}{3!}a^{3}+\dots##

So, this is not a sum of operator products.

7. Oct 23, 2016 #6
    What I meant by operator products is any term of the form ##a^{n}##, ##\left(a^{\dagger}\right)^{m}##, ##\left(a^{\dagger}\right)^{m}a^{n}##, ##\left(a^{\dagger}\right)^{m}a^{n} \left(a^{\dagger}\right)^{k} ##, and so on so forth.

8. Oct 23, 2016 #7
    Okay, so I have

##D(\alpha)^{-1}aD(\alpha) = \exp(-\alpha a^{*}+\alpha^{*}a)a\exp(\alpha a^{*}-\alpha^{*}a)##

Do I expand the exponential ##\exp(-\alpha a^{*}+\alpha^{*}a)## and use ##[a,a^{\dagger}]=1##?

9. Oct 23, 2016 #8
    Yup, or you can just use the Baker-Hausdorff- Campbell formula (if you don't want to prove it)

10. Oct 23, 2016 #9
    So, I get ##\exp(-\alpha a^{*}+\alpha^{*}a)=\exp(-\alpha a^{*})\ \exp(\alpha^{*}a)## using BCH, but I still have to expand ##\exp(-\alpha a^{*})## to find out how it commutes with ##a##, right?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  11. Oct 24, 2016 #10
    I was referring to this particular form of the BCH lemma:
    [tex]e^{iG\lambda}A e^{-iG\lambda} = A + i\lambda [G,A] + \frac{\left(i\lambda\right)^2}{2!}[G,[G,A]]+\ldots+\frac{(i\lambda)^n}{n!}\underbrace{[G,[G,[G,\ldots[G}_{n\ times},A]]]\ldots]+\ldots[/tex]
    Also, your result isn't right; you're missing a factor of ##e^{-|\alpha|^2/2}##.

12. Oct 30, 2016 #11
    Ok, so, using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff lemma

$$e^{iG\lambda}A e^{-iG\lambda} = A + i\lambda [G,A] + \frac{\left(i\lambda\right)^2}{2!}[G,[G,A]]+\ldots+\frac{(i\lambda)^n}{n!}\underbrace{[G,[G,[G,\ldots[G}_{n\ \text{times}},A]]]\ldots]+\ldots,$$

we have

##D(\alpha)^{-1}aD(\alpha)##

##= \exp(-\alpha a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*}a)a\exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)##

##= a + [-\alpha a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*}a,a]##

##= a- [\alpha a^{\dagger},a] + [\alpha^{*}a,a]##

##= a- \alpha[a^{\dagger},a] + \alpha^{*}[a,a]##

##= a- \alpha[a^{\dagger},a]##

##= a+ i\alpha##.

Am I correct?

13. Oct 30, 2016 #12
    Almost; there shouldn't be a factor of ##i##. The commutator is just ##-1##. Now just repeat the same for ##a^{\dagger}##.

14. Oct 30, 2016 #13
    I did, and I got the desired answer.

I was wondering if the formula you quoted is a different version of the BCH formula.

15. Oct 31, 2016 #14
    It has the same origin really - its just convenient because this particular form (i.e. transformations) appears very frequently in quantum mechanics. I believe it's discussed in most standard texts such as Sakurai if you want more specific details.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted