Algebra of displacement operator

In summary, the algebra of displacement operator is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to describe the properties and operations of displacement operators. It is an important tool in understanding and solving problems in quantum mechanics, particularly in the context of phase space. The key properties of this algebra include linearity, commutation relations, and the inverse operator property. Displacement operators are used in various practical applications, such as in quantum optics, computing, and information theory. However, working with this algebra can be challenging, especially when dealing with non-commuting operators and finding analytic solutions.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Given an operator ##D(\alpha)=\exp\ (\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)## and a function ##g(a,a^{\dagger})##, where ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}## are operators and ##\alpha## and ##\alpha^{*}## are complex numbers, show that

##D^{-1}(\alpha)g(a,a^{\dagger})D(\alpha)=g(a+\alpha, a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*})##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##D^{-1}(\alpha)g(a,a^{\dagger})D(\alpha)##

##=\exp\ (-\alpha a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*}a)\ g(a,a^{\dagger})\ \exp\ (\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)##

##=(1-\alpha a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*}a)\ g(a,a^{\dagger})\ (1+\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)##

##=g(a,a^{\dagger})+\alpha^{*}[a,g(a,a^{\dagger})]-\alpha[a^{\dagger},g(a,a^{\dagger})]##.

On the other hand,

##g(a+\alpha, a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*})##

##=g(a, a^{\dagger}) + \alpha \frac{\partial g(a,a^{\dagger})}{\partial \alpha} + \alpha^{*} \frac{\partial g(a,a^{\dagger})}{\partial \alpha^{*}}##.

This seems to suggest that

##\frac{\partial g(a,a^{\dagger})}{\partial \alpha^{*}}=[a,g(a,a^{\dagger})]##

and

##\frac{\partial g(a,a^{\dagger})}{\partial \alpha}=-[a^{\dagger},g(a,a^{\dagger})]##.

Am I missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't expand the operators like that - this assumes that ##\alpha## is infinitesimal, which is not true.
First, establish how ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}## transform under the action of the displacement operator i.e. what are ##D(\alpha)^{-1} a D(\alpha)## and ##D(\alpha)^{-1} a^{\dagger} D(\alpha)##. Then insert factors of ##D(\alpha) D^{-1} (\alpha)## between each pair of creation/annihilation operators in ##g(a,a^{\dagger})##.

Fightfish said:
Then insert factors of ##D(\alpha) D^{-1} (\alpha)## between each pair of creation/annihilation operators in ##g(a,a^{\dagger})##.

But ##g(\alpha,\alpha^{\dagger})## is a generic function, and might not have pairings of ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}##.

failexam said:
But ##g(\alpha,\alpha^{\dagger})## is a generic function, and might not have pairings of ##a## and ##a^{\dagger}##.
I think its fair to assume that any reasonably well behaved function of the operators can be expressed as a sum of operator products. After all, most elementary functions of operators (eg. exponential) are defined in terms of their power series expansions.

But, the exponential ##\exp(a)## of an operator ##a## is

##\exp(a)=1+a+\frac{1}{2!}a^{2}+\frac{1}{3!}a^{3}+\dots##

So, this is not a sum of operator products.

failexam said:
But, the exponential ##\exp(a)## of an operator ##a## is

##\exp(a)=1+a+\frac{1}{2!}a^{2}+\frac{1}{3!}a^{3}+\dots##

So, this is not a sum of operator products.
What I meant by operator products is any term of the form ##a^{n}##, ##\left(a^{\dagger}\right)^{m}##, ##\left(a^{\dagger}\right)^{m}a^{n}##, ##\left(a^{\dagger}\right)^{m}a^{n} \left(a^{\dagger}\right)^{k} ##, and so on so forth.

Okay, so I have

##D(\alpha)^{-1}aD(\alpha) = \exp(-\alpha a^{*}+\alpha^{*}a)a\exp(\alpha a^{*}-\alpha^{*}a)##

Do I expand the exponential ##\exp(-\alpha a^{*}+\alpha^{*}a)## and use ##[a,a^{\dagger}]=1##?

failexam said:
Do I expand the exponential ##\exp(-\alpha a^{*}+\alpha^{*}a)## and use ##[a,a^{\dagger}]=1##?
Yup, or you can just use the Baker-Hausdorff- Campbell formula (if you don't want to prove it)

So, I get ##\exp(-\alpha a^{*}+\alpha^{*}a)=\exp(-\alpha a^{*})\ \exp(\alpha^{*}a)## using BCH, but I still have to expand ##\exp(-\alpha a^{*})## to find out how it commutes with ##a##, right?

Last edited:
failexam said:
So, I get ##\exp(-\alpha a^{*}+\alpha^{*}a)=\exp(-\alpha a^{*})\ \exp(\alpha^{*}a)## using BCH, but I still have to expand ##\exp(-\alpha a^{*})## to find out how it commutes with ##a##, right?
I was referring to this particular form of the BCH lemma:
[tex]e^{iG\lambda}A e^{-iG\lambda} = A + i\lambda [G,A] + \frac{\left(i\lambda\right)^2}{2!}[G,[G,A]]+\ldots+\frac{(i\lambda)^n}{n!}\underbrace{[G,[G,[G,\ldots[G}_{n\ times},A]]]\ldots]+\ldots[/tex]
Also, your result isn't right; you're missing a factor of ##e^{-|\alpha|^2/2}##.

Fightfish said:
I was referring to this particular form of the BCH lemma:
[tex]e^{iG\lambda}A e^{-iG\lambda} = A + i\lambda [G,A] + \frac{\left(i\lambda\right)^2}{2!}[G,[G,A]]+\ldots+\frac{(i\lambda)^n}{n!}\underbrace{[G,[G,[G,\ldots[G}_{n\ times},A]]]\ldots]+\ldots[/tex]
Also, your result isn't right; you're missing a factor of ##e^{-|\alpha|^2/2}##.

Ok, so, using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff lemma

$$e^{iG\lambda}A e^{-iG\lambda} = A + i\lambda [G,A] + \frac{\left(i\lambda\right)^2}{2!}[G,[G,A]]+\ldots+\frac{(i\lambda)^n}{n!}\underbrace{[G,[G,[G,\ldots[G}_{n\ \text{times}},A]]]\ldots]+\ldots,$$

we have

##D(\alpha)^{-1}aD(\alpha)##

##= \exp(-\alpha a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*}a)a\exp(\alpha a^{\dagger}-\alpha^{*}a)##

##= a + [-\alpha a^{\dagger}+\alpha^{*}a,a]##

##= a- [\alpha a^{\dagger},a] + [\alpha^{*}a,a]##

##= a- \alpha[a^{\dagger},a] + \alpha^{*}[a,a]##

##= a- \alpha[a^{\dagger},a]##

##= a+ i\alpha##.

Am I correct?

Almost; there shouldn't be a factor of ##i##. The commutator is just ##-1##. Now just repeat the same for ##a^{\dagger}##.

I did, and I got the desired answer.

I was wondering if the formula you quoted is a different version of the BCH formula.

It has the same origin really - its just convenient because this particular form (i.e. transformations) appears very frequently in quantum mechanics. I believe it's discussed in most standard texts such as Sakurai if you want more specific details.

Likes spaghetti3451

1. What is the algebra of displacement operator?

The algebra of displacement operator is a mathematical framework used to describe the properties and operations of displacement operators in quantum mechanics. Displacement operators are used to model the displacement of a quantum state in phase space.

2. How is the algebra of displacement operator related to quantum mechanics?

The algebra of displacement operator is an important tool in understanding and solving problems in quantum mechanics. It allows us to manipulate and calculate the properties of quantum states and their evolutions, particularly in the context of phase space.

3. What are the key properties of the algebra of displacement operator?

The key properties of the algebra of displacement operator include linearity, commutation relations with other operators, and the inverse operator property. These properties allow us to perform mathematical operations on displacement operators and their corresponding quantum states.

4. How are displacement operators used in practical applications?

Displacement operators are used in a variety of practical applications in quantum mechanics, such as in quantum optics, quantum computing, and quantum information theory. They are particularly useful in studying quantum states and their evolutions in phase space, and in designing quantum algorithms and protocols.

5. What are some challenges in working with the algebra of displacement operator?

One of the main challenges in working with the algebra of displacement operator is dealing with non-commuting operators, which can make calculations and manipulations more complicated. Additionally, finding analytic solutions for displacement operators in certain systems can be difficult, and numerical methods may be required.