1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra (probably easy) problem

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There are two equations and 3 variables and I'm asked to solve for the numerical value of a third expression:

We are told that

P/R=3/5

P/T=9/10

The question asks for the value of (R+T)/R

2. Relevant equations

The correct answer is 5/3 but I have no idea how to get there. This is from a GRE practice test.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried addin' em together. Also solving for "P" to get rid of it doesn't work right away.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Try solving the first equation for R and the second for T. Then substitute those values into the expression you need to evaluate.

4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    oh I did not see in advance that the P's would cancel out like that and I'd get a number. I never would've thought to do that. Could you explain how you saw that?

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4
    When you have equations that share variables, you can always do that setup to eliminate the common variable.

6. Jan 20, 2009 #5
    Yes but you couldn't give a numerical value for just R+T, in this case you'd be left with 25P/9

7. Jan 20, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is to be expected. You can't get a numerical value for R unless you know P, and you can't get a numerical value for T unless you know P. Since you don't know P, you are not going to be able to get a numerical value for (R + T)/R.

8. Jan 20, 2009 #7
    You have 2 equations and 3 unknowns. Chances are, you will have a free variable.

9. Jan 20, 2009 #8
    Actually I believe this is a special case where you can get a numerical answer just because the P's happen to cancel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?