1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic steps to simplify an equation

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Could someone show me the algebraic steps involved in the following equivalency?

2. Relevant equations

img8.gif

3. The attempt at a solution

EDIT: see attempt below. I eventually answered my own question. Thanks, Mark44.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

[tex]2(q + \frac{pq}{a})(\frac{-rq}{a^2}) + 2(p + a)[/tex]
    [tex]=2(\frac{-pq^2}{a^2} + \frac{-p^2q^2}{a^3}) + 2(p + a)[/tex]

Get a common denominator for the two terms in the first pair of parentheses, and then combine those two terms.
    Can you carry on from there?

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    Okay, the two terms in parentheses now have a common denominator:

2(a+p) + 2(-apq^2 - p^2q^2)/a^3

This is where I get stuck. I don't know how to factor 2(a+p) out of the numerator 2(-apq^2 - p^2q^2).

Here is my attempt:

2a+2p + (-2apq^2 - 2p^2q^2)/a^3

(2a+2p)[1 + (-pq^2 - pq^2)/a^3]

2(a+p)[1 + (-2pq^2)/a^3]

What am I doing wrong? Why do I end up with -2pq^2/a^3 instead of just pq^2/a^3? Thanks.

EDIT: I got it. I was thinking about the operation in the wrong way. Instead of trying to factor out (a+p), I decided to factor out -pq^2 from 2(-apq^2-p^2q^2)/a^3, which yielded 2[-pq^2(a+p)/a^3]. From there, I could easily factor out 2(a+p) from 2(a+p) + 2(-apq^2 - p^2q^2)/a^3.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook