1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algerbraic logarithm method question

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    First of all, greetings to the scientific community here at Physics Forums.

The following set of equations is given:
    y^(x-3y) = x^2
    x^(x-3y) = y^8

With the next assumption given: x-3y is unequal to (-4).

My attempt was to isolate the y variable in both of the equations so that i will be able to devide the the equations and recieve a simple x^a = b equations. This did not help, because the powers of the x's included the y, with no option to get rid of it.

I Would like your assistance with finding the shortest, most efficient, non-logarithmic way to solve this question, asap.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why haven't you taken the logarithm of the equations? Isn't that the method you said you were asking about in the title?

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    You are right it is a possibility. I did not fully mention my request here in the topic.
    I am searching for an additional method to logarithm, by modifying the powers in the two equations.

Just tackled with another question with great similarity:

x^(2x+y) = y^4
    y^(2x+y) = x^16

I noticed the identity of the powers in the left sides of the equations, but even after immediatly deviding the two equations, I get stuck.

What would be the most efficient way to solve this with no log?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
    It is the method of logarithm, you just don't write log ...

[itex] x^{(2x+y)^2} = y^{4(2x+y)} = x^{16\cdot 4} = x^{64}[/itex]. Therefore [itex] (2x+y)^2 = 64[/itex] (that's where we really did logarithms without mentioning the word), so assuming [itex] x>0, y>0[/itex] we have [itex] 2x+y=8[/itex]. Then [itex] x^8 = y^4[/itex] so [itex] x^2=y[/itex]. Substitute in the equation: [itex]2x+x^2=8 [/itex] then solve the quadratic equation. The only positive solution is [itex]x=2[/itex] so then [itex]y=4[/itex].

I assumed x and y are positive so that irrational exponents would be defined. But to solve for integer solutions, you could allow negative x,y since integer powers still make sense.

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5
    edgar, using which formula did you make this calculation:

[itex]
    x^{(2x+y)^2} = y^{4(2x+y)} = x^{16\cdot 4} = x^{64}
    [/itex]

7. Sep 22, 2009 #6
    Start with [itex] x^{(2x+y)} = y^{4}[/itex], raise both sides to power [itex] 2x+y[/itex] , get [itex] x^{(2x+y)^2} = y^{4(2x+y)} [/itex].
    Start with [itex] y^{(2x+y)} = x^{16}[/itex], raise both sides to the power [itex] 4[/itex] , get [itex] y^{4(2x+y)} = x^{16\cdot 4}[/itex] .
    OK?

8. Sep 23, 2009 #7
    yes, I now understand this technique. very useful and widespread in problems involving equations.

*According to this, when solving the quadratic equation, two answers apply: x=2, and x=-4.
    why is x=-4 (y=16) not valid in this case?

** It is also important to mention that another solution in this form of questions:
    when the two bases are equal to 1, the powers can be placed with any suggested number.
    Therefore: when x=1, y=1.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook