1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frobenius method and Euler equations

1. Sep 1, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I'm having trouble with this one.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a particular solution of the second-order homogeneous lineal differential equation

[itex] x^2y'' + xy' - y = 0[/itex]

taking in account that [itex] x = 0 [/itex] is a regular singular point and performing a power series expansion.

2. Relevant equations

[itex] x^2y'' + xy' - y = 0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I see that the equation given is an Euler equation, but the question asks for a power series solution, so i tried with the Frobenius method. Assuming there is at least one solution with the form [itex] y = x^\sigma\sum{a_nx^n} [/itex].

First, I divide the whole differential equation by [itex] x^2[/itex]. Then I substitute the expression above so I get

[itex]\sum{(n+\sigma)(n+\sigma-1)a_nx^{n+\sigma-2}} + \frac{1}{x}\sum{(n+\sigma)a_nx^{n+\sigma-1}}-\frac{1}{x^2}\sum{a_nx^{n+\sigma}} [/itex]

And now, dividing by [itex] x^{\sigma-2} [/itex], I get

[itex] \sum{((n+\sigma)(n+\sigma-1)+(n+\sigma) - 1})a_nx^n [/itex]

Now I don't know how to find the recurrence relation I'm looking for in order to find the form of [itex] a_n [/itex]. In all the examples I've been able to find, in the last expression one always finds terms of [itex]a_{n-1}[/itex], for example, but here I don't know how to continue.

Did I do something wrong? I tried to follow the steps given in my textbook. I'm confused because I believe the equation given fits the requeriments needed in order to the Frobenius method to be applicable, but this happens to me every time I try to solve an Euler equation using it.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have overlooked an important step. You haven't solved for [itex]\sigma[/itex]. A general power series can start at any power of n but if that power is larger than 0, we can always factor out a power of x, [itex]x^{\sigma}[/itex] so that our sum does start with a non-zero [itex]a_n[/itex] term. Taking the very first term, the n= 0 term, we get the "indicial equation" to solve for [itex]\sigma[/itex]. What must [itex]\sigma[/itex] b in order that [itex]a_0\ne 0[/itex]?

4. Sep 1, 2014 #3
    So the indicial equation is

[itex] \sigma^2 - 1 = 0 [/itex]

For which I get [itex]\sigma = \pm 1[/itex]

So one of the solutions would have the form [itex] y = x\sum{a_nx^n} [/itex]. But I still don't know how to find an appropriate expression for [itex]a_n[/itex].

5. Sep 1, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For ##n \geq 1## you need
    [tex]((n+\sigma)(n+\sigma-1)+(n+\sigma) - 1)a_n = 0 [/tex]
    What does this tell you?

6. Sep 1, 2014 #5
    Oh, I think I see it. For [itex] n>1 [/itex] the left term is not going to vanish, so, would it be [itex] a_n = 0 [/itex] for all [itex] n>1 [/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted