Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All Known Physics Equation

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    On Neil Turok's TEDtalk he talked about a single equation that described all known physics. He put the equation in the background, but it was hard to read. Does anyone know what this equation is and if it is ever practical?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2
    It is very hard to believe there is one, was it relatively short or what?

4. Apr 11, 2008 #3
    It is very very long.

5. Apr 11, 2008 #4
    Here's a picture of the equation from the talk. It's hard to see.

Attached Files:

6. Apr 11, 2008 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I would guess he meant it as a joke.

7. Apr 12, 2008 #6
    Yeah, that doesn't look meaningful, just a brief run-down of some of the most important ones, all mushed together.

8. Apr 12, 2008 #7

Mk

Hah, that is, in a way, funny.

9. Apr 12, 2008 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it's saying that "The function for everything is an integration of all the work of all of the major physicists."

10. Apr 12, 2008 #9

Astronuc

I think Chi meson is correct. I think this is right.

[tex]\Psi\,=\,\int{e^{{\frac{i}{\hbar}} \int{(\frac{R}{16\pi{G}}\,-\,F^2\,+\,\overline{\psi}iD\psi\,-\,\lambda\varphi\overline{\psi}\psi\,+\,|D\varphi|^2\,-\,V(\varphi))}}}[/tex]

Schrodinger - [tex]\Psi[/tex]

Planck - [tex]\hbar[/tex] or it might be just h?

Einstein and Newton - [tex]\frac{R}{16\pi{G}}[/tex]

Maxwell-Yang-Mills - [tex]F^2[/tex]

Dirac - [tex]\overline{\psi}iD\psi[/tex]

Yukawa - [tex]\lambda\varphi\overline{\psi}\psi[/tex]

Higgs - [tex]|D\varphi|^2[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  11. Apr 12, 2008 #10
    Hi,

Just to add a little bit, the equation is not completely trivial, in fact I think ChiMeson did not use the word "work" randomely, because each term is usually included in a lagrangian, used to construct the action. Astro, you missed the imaginary i on top of h ! This is Feynman's thesis :smile:

So, let me quote Feynman once again... He gave this (trivial) example to illustrate what physicists call "TOE".

Any equation can be cast into the form A=0 (waow...) Now suppose you have a list of known physics equations at some point in time. Call those equations [tex]A_{i}=0[/tex] with i a label running on as many equations you have, possibly infinite in number. A TOE can be constructed by the single equation : [tex]\sum_i (A_{i})^2 =0[/tex]

This construction is not what people would like to call a TOE. In particular, this single equation is completely useless, does not lead to any insight whatsoever on Nature and could be called a big cheat. Are you sure that the previous proposition is much more clever that this (Feynman) procedure ?

12. Apr 12, 2008 #11

Astronuc

13. Apr 13, 2008 #12
    Request for Assistance with "All Known Physics" formula

I am sorry to trouble you with such a trivial request, but I would be extremely grateful if someone could explain to me (1) how to read aloud (i.e., pronounce each part of) this formula and (2) what variable each of the symbols represents.

(Glad to reciprocate, if possible; I know a bit about U.S. law and speak Japanese fluently if either of those skills would be useful.)

14. Apr 14, 2008 #13

Mk

I don't believe there is a standard way of saying where parentheses begin and end but the phrase "the quantity of" combined with pauses is often used to imply what is in parentheses and what isn't.

(capital) Psi equals the integral of e raised to the quantity of i over h-bar (or it might just be h) multiplied by the integral of R over 16 pi G minus F squared plus psi bar i D psi minus lambda phi psi bar psi plus the absolute value of D psi squared minus V phi.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  15. May 19, 2008 #14
    still more on this equation at Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics - Public Lectures
    pdf and media available

16. Jun 22, 2008 #15
    2 n k equation ?

17. Jul 20, 2010 #16
    Are we able to use it for something simple? Like basic gr12 physics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?