Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All our information comes from light

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1

Gold Member

We are an analogy of fish in the sea, all our information comes from light, forgive me if i am wrong and tell me why, but can we over come (radiation) evidence?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Re: Light

It is a good question. Indeed in cosmology almost all the information comes to us via light (even the microwave background is EM radiation, a kind of light)
    I would like to hear what other people have to say especially as it applies to cosmology.

I would say that neutrinos are different from light. At some time in future people will almost surely be able to study the first second or so of big bang by the neutrino signature. there must be a neutrino background analogous to the microwave background.

Of course in neutrino detectors the neutrinos produce a flash of light when they interact with the detector material. So at the very last stage the information again becomes light. But lets not count that----lets say that the neutrinos are a distinct different information medium.

also there are cosmic rays, typically high energy protons accelerated from AGNs by some means not fully understood. That's yet again a different mode of information from light.
  4. Aug 9, 2008 #3

dont forget gravity waves
  5. Aug 10, 2008 #4

Photons are able to talk to each other much faster than the speed of light. So there is more going on beyond what we can explain.

For example you have two photon guns and one fires a photon and the other does not. The fired photon hits a wall. Somehow the second photons knows this has happened. Instant communication, so light it seems is the only way for us to observe changes. How ever if would understand this strange interaction between photons we may be able to build something to observe changes through the interaction of photons and not the photons themselves.

Just an idea.
  6. Aug 10, 2008 #5

Good question indeed. I know that due to what we have as far as radiation detectors (our eyes and the technology we've made) we can only detect that which we are familiar with or what is on the electromagnetic spectrum. If we had the ability to see wavelengths somewhere on the ultraviolet spectrum I suppose we would be able to see much higher wavelengths and might even be unable to see something such as infrared due to our limitations on what our detectors can see.

Until we start researching higher frequencies and high vibrational levels or even lower frequencies we might be stuck with what we literally can see.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?