Almost ashamed to ask this question.

• Thread starter RadiationX
  • Start date
In summary, the equations Y-Y_1 = m(X-X_1) and Y = mX + B are essentially the same, with the second one being a special case where Y_{1} is the y-intercept (B) and X_{1} is 0. By plugging in two points that the line passes through, we can use these equations to find the slope and y-intercept of the line. The first equation, also known as the point-slope form, is used to find the slope of the line.
RadiationX
When we want to find the equation of a line we can use:
[tex] Y-Y_1 = m(X-X_1)[/tex] or [tex] Y = mX + B[/tex]

My question is aren't both equations essentially the same?

For equation 1. If I know two points that the line passes through just by plugging and chugging won't that lead to what the Y intercept is?

For example I have these two points that a line passes through: (2,12) & (6,0).
by looking at the graph I know that the line has a Y intercept, even though it is not drawn. When I use equation one my constant (B) the Y intercept is 0 even though it should not be. What the heck am I doing wrong?:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, they are the same equation. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but if we use your first equation, put one point in (say (6,0)), then y-0=m(x-6) => y=m(x-6). Then use the second point to find m; 12=m(2-6) => m=-3; thus y=-3(x-6)=-3x+18 is the equation for the line.

Yes they are the same, the second one is a special case where [tex]Y_{1}[/tex] is the y intercept (B) and thus [tex]X_{1}[/tex] is 0 so you get Y=mX+[tex]Y_{1}[/tex]

edit: woops, hi cristo =-).

dontdisturbmycircles said:
edit: woops, hi cristo =-).
Haha; that gets me back for butting into your thread earlier! :wink:

cristo said:
Yes, they are the same equation. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but if we use your first equation, put one point in (say (6,0)), then y-0=m(x-6) => y=m(x-6). Then use the second point to find m; 12=m(2-6) => m=-3; thus y=-3(x-6)=-3x+18 is the equation for the line.

You have hit upon the point of my confusion exactly cristo! Jeez, so simple but I have not used this equation since precalc so i forgot how it worked! the point slope form of the line is used to find the slope of the line. It is the variable that we are solving for.

1. What is the meaning of "almost ashamed to ask this question"?

The phrase "almost ashamed to ask this question" is often used to express feelings of embarrassment or hesitancy in asking a particular question. It implies that the question may be perceived as silly, obvious, or uncomfortable to ask.

2. Why do people use the phrase "almost ashamed to ask this question"?

People may use this phrase when they feel self-conscious about asking a question that they think others may judge them for. It can also be used as a way to acknowledge that the question may be considered taboo or sensitive.

3. Is it okay to feel ashamed to ask a question?

It is normal to feel hesitant or embarrassed about asking a question, especially if it is about a sensitive or personal topic. However, it is important to remember that there is no shame in seeking knowledge and understanding. Asking questions is a valuable way to learn and grow.

4. How can I overcome the feeling of shame when asking a question?

One way to overcome the feeling of shame is to remind yourself that asking questions is a natural and important part of learning. You can also try talking to someone you trust or seeking out a supportive and non-judgmental environment to ask your question. Remember, there is no shame in seeking knowledge.

5. What should I do if someone judges me for asking a question?

If someone judges you for asking a question, it is important to remember that their reaction is a reflection of their own beliefs and biases, not a reflection of your worth. You are entitled to seek knowledge and understanding without fear of judgment. You can also remind the person that asking questions is a valuable way to learn and grow, and their judgment is not helpful or necessary.