1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Almost ashamed to ask this question.

1. May 27, 2007 #1
    When we want to find the equation of a line we can use:
    [tex] Y-Y_1 = m(X-X_1)[/tex] or [tex] Y = mX + B[/tex]

My question is aren't both equations essentially the same?

For equation 1. If I know two points that the line passes through just by plugging and chugging won't that lead to what the Y intercept is?

For example I have these two points that a line passes through: (2,12) & (6,0).
    by looking at the graph I know that the line has a Y intercept, even though it is not drawn. When I use equation one my constant (B) the Y intercept is 0 even though it should not be. What the heck am I doing wrong?:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, they are the same equation. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but if we use your first equation, put one point in (say (6,0)), then y-0=m(x-6) => y=m(x-6). Then use the second point to find m; 12=m(2-6) => m=-3; thus y=-3(x-6)=-3x+18 is the equation for the line.

4. May 27, 2007 #3
    Yes they are the same, the second one is a special case where [tex]Y_{1}[/tex] is the y intercept (B) and thus [tex]X_{1}[/tex] is 0 so you get Y=mX+[tex]Y_{1}[/tex]

edit: woops, hi cristo =-).

5. May 27, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Haha; that gets me back for butting into your thread earlier! :wink:

6. May 27, 2007 #5
    You have hit upon the point of my confusion exactly cristo! Jeez, so simple but I have not used this equation since precalc so i forgot how it worked!!! the point slope form of the line is used to find the slope of the line. It is the variable that we are solving for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?