1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Altering a Structure Without Changing Its Chemicasl Composition

1. Mar 17, 2016 #1
    My question is that can we use properties of quantum mechanics and thermodynamics to alter size of a non biological object such that properties like its density,optical activity, conductance etc remains same......
    For instance we know that cooling down a substance considerably reduces its size and vice versa but if we could somehow do this process at subatomic level using quantum mechanics it could be possible to decrease or increase the size of an object as whole....

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

No, quantum mechanics itself doesn't allow us to do such a thing.

4. Mar 17, 2016 #3
    That means we cannot alter the size of subatomic particles further in any method as it would be instantly converted to energy,......am i going right? however thank you for your answer......

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  5. Mar 17, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

No. It means we cannot alter the size of subatomic particles because that is inherently impossible. It has nothing to do with anything being converted to energy.

Since this is well beyond mainstream science I'm afraid I'm going to have to lock this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook