Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternate expressions of Fourier series formula

1. Oct 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the Fourier series formula [tex]F(t)=\frac{1}{2}a_{0}+\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}(a_{n}cos(nwt)+b_{n}sin(nwt))[/tex] can be expressed as [tex]F(t)=\frac{1}{2}a_{0}+\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}c_{n}cos(nwt-\phi_{n})[/tex]. Relate the coefficients [tex]c_{n}[/tex] to [tex]a_{n}[/tex] and [tex]b_{n}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

We have the usual equations for the coefficients of a Fourier series.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really just checking the integrity of my solution here. I want to be sure I did not misunderstand the nature of [tex]\phi_{n}[/tex] or anything else.

Let [tex]n\in Z^{+}[/tex]. Pick [tex]\phi_{n}[/tex] such that [tex]\frac{a_{n}}{cos(\phi_{n})}=\frac{b_{n}}{sin(\phi_{n})}[/tex]. We know we can do this since we could just choose [tex]\phi_{n}=nw_{0}t[/tex], where [tex]w_{0}=2 \pi f[/tex], the fundamental frequency of the Fourier series. Let [tex]c_{n}=\frac{a_{n}}{cos(\phi_{n})}=\frac{b_{n}}{sin(\phi_{n})}[/tex].

[tex]F(t)=\frac{1}{2}a_{0}+\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}(a_{n}cos(nwt)+b_{n}sin(nwt))[/tex]
    [tex]F(t)=\frac{1}{2}a_{0}+\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}(c_{n}cos(\phi_{n})cos(nwt)+c_{n}sin(\phi_{n})sin(nwt))[/tex]
    [tex]F(t)=\frac{1}{2}a_{0}+\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}(c_{n}cos(nwt-\phi_{n}))[/tex]

Which completes the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Your proof seems fine, but the one thing I would point out is that φn is supposed to be a constant. So you shouldn't pick φn = nω0t, because that would make the phase constant a linear function of time. Instead, just solve the equation
    [tex]\frac{a_n}{\cos\phi_n} = \frac{b_n}{\sin\phi_n}[/tex]
    for φn, getting
    [tex]\phi_n = \tan^{-1}\frac{b_n}{a_n}[/tex]
    (I'll leave the investigation of the case an=0 to you :wink:) Using that value of φn, you can define cn the same way you did, and the rest of the proof should be unchanged.

4. Oct 10, 2010 #3
    Thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook