Alternating Series Convergence Test

In summary, there are two parts to testing an alternating series for convergence: the first is that each successive term must be smaller than the last, and the second is that the limit of the terms must approach 0. While the first condition may seem unnecessary, there are counterexamples where the series does not converge even if the limit of the terms is 0. The alternating series test is useful for determining convergence and providing approximations for the limit. However, it is not a perfect test and there will always be a series that does not fit the criteria.
cp255
According to my calculus book two parts to testing an alternating series for convergence. Let s = Ʃ(-1)n bn. The first is that bn + 1 < bn. The second is that the limn[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]∞ bn = 0. However, isn't the first condition unnecessary since bn must be decreasing if the limit is zero. I can't think of any example where the limit will be zero and the function is increasing (assuming bn is not negative which would not really make sense since the series is alternating).

Physics news on Phys.org
What if ##b_{2n} = 0## and ##b_{2n+1} = \frac{1}{2n+1}##. That will give a divergent series.

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}(n)}{n}[/tex] is not monotone decreasing.

Yes but although sin2(x)/x is not always decreasing the series still converges. I just don't really see the point of the first test. Especially since this series seems to converge and is at times increasing.

cp255 said:
Yes but although sin2(x)/x is not always decreasing the series still converges. I just don't really see the point of the first test. Especially since this series seems to converge and is at times increasing.

A test will never work for all series. For any convergence test, there will be a convergent series that is not described by the test.

The alternating series test is handy because it says, for example, that

[tex]\sum \frac{(-1)^n}{n}[/tex]

converges. Furthermore, it gives a handy approximation that if ##\sum (-1)^n b_n## is your series, then it converges to x and

[tex]\left|x - \sum_{n=1}^k (-1) b_n\right|\leq b_k[/tex]

So it tells you how close you are to your limit.

cp255 said:
You asked for a sequence which is not strictly monotone decreasing but still satisfies ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}a_n = 0##. The above is such an example. Note that not strictly monotone decreasing doesn't imply strictly monotone increasing. A sequence can be neither monotone increasing nor decreasing.

cp255 said:
However, isn't the first condition unnecessary since bn must be decreasing if the limit is zero.

You asked for a sequence which is not strictly monotone decreasing but still satisfies limn→∞an=0. The above is such an example. Note that not strictly monotone decreasing doesn't imply strictly monotone increasing. A sequence can be neither monotone increasing nor decreasing.

I understand this, but what I am wondering is why my book says that each successive term must be smaller than the last. Shouldn't all alternating series in which bn goes to 0 as n approaches infinity be convergent? If this is true then what is the point of the first condition?

cp255 said:
I understand this, but what I am wondering is why my book says that each successive term must be smaller than the last. Shouldn't all alternating series in which bn goes to 0 as n approaches infinity be convergent? If this is true then what is the point of the first condition?

See post 2 for a counterexample.

1. What is the Alternating Series Convergence Test?

The Alternating Series Convergence Test is a method used to determine if an infinite series, where the terms alternate in sign, converges to a finite limit. It is also known as the Leibniz Test, named after the mathematician Gottfried Leibniz.

2. How do you determine if an alternating series converges?

In order to determine if an alternating series converges, the Alternating Series Convergence Test states that the following three conditions must be met: 1) the terms must alternate in sign, 2) the absolute value of the terms must decrease as n increases, and 3) the limit of the absolute value of the terms must approach 0 as n approaches infinity.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series without any conditions on the sign of its terms, while conditional convergence refers to the convergence of a series under specific conditions, such as the terms alternating in sign. The Alternating Series Convergence Test is used to determine the conditional convergence of alternating series.

4. Can the Alternating Series Convergence Test be used to determine divergence?

Yes, the Alternating Series Convergence Test can also be used to determine if an alternating series diverges. If any of the three conditions are not met, the series is guaranteed to diverge. However, if all three conditions are met, the test is inconclusive and other methods must be used to determine convergence or divergence.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Alternating Series Convergence Test?

The Alternating Series Convergence Test is often used in the field of physics and engineering to model and analyze alternating currents and oscillating systems. It is also used in the study of financial mathematics to analyze the convergence of alternating series representing investments with alternating gains and losses.