1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative definition of sequence (real analysis)

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Limit of {sn} as n goes to infinity exists provided for all sigma >0 there exists some integer N such that |sn-L| < sigma where n greater than or equal to N.

Prove equivalent to alternate definition:

limit exists provided that for every positive inteer m there exists a real number N such that |sn-L| < 1/m whebever n greater than or equal to N.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I know sigma can be anything, so you can replace sigma with 1/m and get Alternative Definition except for N being an integer rather than a real number. I get the idea that N(as fn of sigma) has to be an integer and N(as fn of 1/m) has to be a real number. Actually setting up definition 1 <=> definition 2 is confusing me though.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
    This is a pretty useful reformulation and a good exercise in knowing what numbers you are allowed to choose for and which must be arbitrary.

The only difference in the definitions is that 1/m and sigma are switched. Let's say you had the 1/m definition. Since the inequality |s_n - L| < 1/m is already in place, it seems reasonable to require that 1/m < sigma. But in this case, we are given that sigma is an arbitrary positive number, whereas we can choose m since we know the 1/m definition holds (and by Archimedean property). Can you figure out the other direction?

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Given any sigma> 0, 1/sigma is a positive real number so there exist integer m such that m> 1/sigma whence 1/m< sigma.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook